Question After #2 Phillips What Are The Six Most Commonly Used Screwdriver Bits For Computer Use?

mongoose001

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
After the ubiquitous #2 Phillips screwdriver, what are the six most commonly used screwdriver bits?
I've got a multi-bit screwdriver with six places for bits and thought what are the most commonly used bits?
So, what screwdrivers do you use the most for your computer?
#1 Phillips
#0 Phillips
#00 Phillips
#000 Phillips
4mm Wide Straight Head
5mm Wide Straight Head
4mm Wide Straight Head
5mm Socket For Motherboard Stand-Offs
3/16in Socket For D-Sub Stand-Offs
T9 Torx
T10 Torx
T15 Torx For Compaqs
TS10 5-Lobe Torx For Seagate External HDDs
Square Head Robinson For Canadian PCs With Wooden Decking...

Whether or not computer screws have the dot on them, they tend to fit JIS standard screwdrivers far better than Phillips #2, as you'd expect from something produced in Asia. So no, you generally shouldn't be using Phillips #2 on most computer screws.
101617-japanese-screwdrivers-JIS-vs-Phillips.jpg

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
After the ubiquitous #2 Phillips screwdriver, what are the six most commonly used screwdriver bits?
I've got a multi-bit screwdriver with six places for bits and thought what are the most commonly used bits?
So, what screwdrivers do you use the most for your computer?
#1 Phillips
#0 Phillips
#00 Phillips
#000 Phillips
4mm Wide Straight Head
5mm Wide Straight Head
4mm Wide Straight Head
5mm Socket For Motherboard Stand-Offs
3/16in Socket For D-Sub Stand-Offs
T9 Torx
T10 Torx
T15 Torx For Compaqs
TS10 5-Lobe Torx For Seagate External HDDs
Square Head Robinson For Canadian PCs With Wooden Decking...
Magnetic #2 Phillips Screwdriver

Nothing else you need anything else should come with the board or CPU cooler.

EDIT well I actually use a screw gun too make it quicker.

kanewolf

Titan

Even with a #2 phillips, the length of the shaft is important. If you are working on a bench a 4 inch shaft might be fine. Down in a PC case, you might want a 6 or 9 inch long shaft.

Reactions: mongoose001

mongoose001

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

<hands you a #2 Phillips screwdriver>
OK, go fit this M.2 drive with the M2 screws to this motherboard....
I'll just stand hear and watch. :)

As I said in the OP this isn't about #2 Phillips, this is what screwdriver heads you need APART from the #2.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Very few have reason to be using D-Sub, or any flathead screwdrivers, so you'd be looking at torx and several sizes of sockets + philips/jis as my most common. But then again, liquid cooling and waterblocks aren't exactly common either, neither is disassembly of gpus to remove the heatsink.

But you are missing several tools, such as spatulas, needle nose pliers, slip-joint pliers, diagonal cutters, tubing reamer, scissors and a razor knife.

Probably the single most common tool that's actually useful for more than one purpose is the #2 Philips with a 9" shank as it's the only screwdriver that will mount any cpu cooler, which is why ppl like Noctua and beQuiet and Cryorig will include one in several of their coolers. The multipurpose screwdriver won't work for that application very well, if at all.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Even with a #2 phillips, the length of the shaft is important. If you are working on a bench a 4 inch shaft might be fine. Down in a PC case, you might want a 6 or 9 inch long shaft.
6 inch to be specific you could go longer if you wish but no reason 2. Electric is important to me, well was at one time when I was building several week years ago.
EDIT a small pair of side cutters I guess would be the only other thing for zip ties although yu could cut them with a lot of things.
The question was after #2 so never thought he didn't know how long

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
<hands you a #2 Phillips screwdriver>
OK, go fit this M.2 drive with the M2 screws to this motherboard....
I'll just stand hear and watch. :)

As I said in the OP this isn't about #2 Phillips, this is what screwdriver heads you need APART from the #2.
M.2 screw on my old school #2. Any standoff stuff should come with the case. Then you get into phones , tablets, and other item's besides a PC yes you could need more stuff.
View: https://imgur.com/a/cFW7dcF

Last edited: