[SOLVED] After 3 years, why is my Powerline acting weird?

rumbaler

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
So I'll do my best to try to give as much information as I can.

The modem and router/wifi device are both in the kitchen resting on top of a cpu case of another computer on the first floor. My computer is up on the second floor in my room. Due to how far the modem was and how much ethernet wire would be required to reach my room and the fact that it would be a tripping hazard and be constantly ran over by a wheelchair...I decided to go with a powerline after hearing about it.

I brought a Netgear – Powerline 1000 Network Extender to help with this problem. I brought this in Mid-April of 2016. So I had it for about 3 years now and for those 3 years I never really had an issue with it. As far as I know, no new major appliances or electronics were put in in that time. The refrigerator is not sharing the same plug as the powerline. But the powerline is sharing the same line of the computer and the modem, however it is not on the power strip, it was plugged in directly.

With all that said, my issue is as of late the Ethernet led light for the device has been going red to completely blank at least once every day. It's usually at random times but two nights in a row it went off around the same time. The outages have been happening for about two months now and usually it last for ten minutes at best. Constantly unplugging and replugging both devices seem to fix it for that day but I do see it go red a few more times before it's green for the rest of the night. My suspicions are that the kitchen computer, since every time I go down to reset everything, someone is usually on it but other times no one was on. However I am skeptical since in the three years I had this device it never went through this issue before. So my question is, what the cause could be? How can I fix it? And if I can't fix it, is it time to possible consider saving up for a newer model?

Solution
So I had it for about 3 years now

And that there, is the probable reason.

Every Netgear router and network expansion card I've bought in the last, ten years or so, has lasted about three years. The powerline 1000 network adapter I bought to extend networking originally to my garage, lasted about 18 months. In every case it has not been a "complete" failure to work, simply intermittent and sporadic operation and disconnects. If there have been no changes in the hardware configuration or the system hasn't been reset, or anything else has changed, before these problems started, then it probably just failing.
So I had it for about 3 years now

And that there, is the probable reason.

Every Netgear router and network expansion card I've bought in the last, ten years or so, has lasted about three years. The powerline 1000 network adapter I bought to extend networking originally to my garage, lasted about 18 months. In every case it has not been a "complete" failure to work, simply intermittent and sporadic operation and disconnects. If there have been no changes in the hardware configuration or the system hasn't been reset, or anything else has changed, before these problems started, then it probably just failing.

Solution