Question After 7 years, it's time to upgrade...

dempy19

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Hello wonderful community!

I've been a part of this community for a while now and I've had the same PC since 2013. The community had helped me choose my parts and even offer ideas for upgrades when I looked for them through the years.

I've recently noticed how I can't really multitask anymore while running any games. Most games (Warzone, Apex, City Skylines, Forza 7, Asseto Corza) will run my CPU to 100% so even trying to run discord or have a few tabe open in Chrome/Firefox makes the computer chug along like a train trying to go up a steep hill.
With the new age of gaming, I'd like to be able to multitask once again and be able to stream simultaneously while having a few background processes working as well without my pc stopping to think every so often.

That being said, I've been doing a ton of research lately but of course I would love the input of a few experts here in the forums. I have posted a link below to see the pieces I'm looking to purchase. My plan is to stay around the $1000 CAD mark if possible. I don't plan on overclocking memory or the CPU (CPU potentially after 2-3 years to get some extra performance out of it).

PC Part Picker of the potential new setup

Please don't hate, however, I am loyal to Asus whe it comes to my PC parts. I understand there's other great options out there however I would like to stick with Asus.

Here is my current build:

i5-4670k @4GHz
Maximus VI Formula
16GB G.Skill 1866MHz CL9
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
WD Black 1TB
Corsair HX850
ASUS ROG Swift Pg278QR (1440p @ 165Hz)

With the new CPU, mobo and RAM being purchased I would like to use as much of the old PC as possible. I do have a new Windows 10 key so I'd be doign a clean install on the 500GB WD SN850, while using the 1 tb for games. The other drives will be used for storage at this point due to their age I can't rely on them for much longer.

My main concerns are these:

• X570 or B550 mobo? I understand that the B550 only has 1 pcie 4.0 for GPU and 1 for an m.2. If I were to go with B550, I'd save a few bucks which my wife would love to hear, but my second m.2 would be pcie 3.0. When gaming or running streamlabs, is there a difference because of the bandwith and will I feel a difference?
  • Will the 5600x be adequate to last me the next 5 years without any hiccups?
  • With the arrival of 11th gen Intel chips being announced next month, is it worth the wait to see if the performance is on par with AMD 5th gen? ( im thinking of going i5-11600k paired with a Z590 mobo)
  • Should I opt for a more powerful CPU than the 5600x/i5-11600k?
  • RAM speeds I've included are 3200Mhz, will I benefit much by making the jump up to 3600Mhz?

I know this is a long read and if you're still reading at this point, thank you and I appreciate you.

I look forward to your feedback!