After a 16-year Run, Winamp to Shut Down Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Loved WinAmp back in the day. Easiest and coolest music player until extra stuff got added in. May have been changed now.

G

Winamp2 was awesome. On another note, anything is better than realplayer!

I've been using the same skin for Winamp since like 1998 when they added support and I found the skin. When they switched to v3, I stuck with v2 and when they got v5, I've been using it as v2 all these years. They have improved in some key areas, but most of them I don't use.

The plug in library for Winamp is amazing though. You can find pretty much anything in it, for whatever you want to do.

Man... I just hope they keep a full offline installer before closing the shop. I'll keep using Winamp until I can't do it no more.

Cheers!

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Aaah memories of OC'ing my Voodoo2 Banshee card to crank up settings and resolution on visualizations and stuff. I've been busting out Milkdrop on the projector at parties since, well, a long time. While I am sure that installers will still be available for download across the web, it is sad to see the end of an era.

Sid Jeong

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
but I've been using winamp forever! I thought it was the most popular music player on windows? what are the alternative?

futureyes

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Nooooo!!!!!!! I've used Winamp since the beginning and never looked back! :-/ Someone needs to save Winamp! If I had the funding I would! :-/

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
It used to be the only player I used, then I switched to Songbird for a bit. After that, I ended up joining the Internet Radio Apps (Pandora -> Slacker -> Spotify). Such a shame, but AOL has ruined a lot of good things on the internet. It was a good run while it lasted.

"Winamp, It really whips the llama's ass!"

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I use winamp every day. I'm listening to music on it right now. I haven't updated it recently, but it works flawlessly. I really don't feel the need to.

Still, it's sad to see it get shut down.

Can anyone recommend a valid alternative? Also, what for?

G

Sad news... Mainly because of nostalgia. I stopped at version 5.35 because they introduced the new tag editor in 5.5 which I didn't like. Well, I didn't want to get used to it. Then 5.35 started crashing when I switched to Windows 7 and I started using foobar2000 instead. Bye bye, Winamp! It was fun while it lasted.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009

Try Songbird, if not, go to the Wiki chart of MP3 players and figure out what works. Songbird runs off of Mozilla engine, and to me had a similar feel to Winamp with the customization and stuff.

EDIT: LOL, go to check Songbird, and seems they lost support when they decided to dump Linux versions. Users came up with "Nightingale," to support all platforms. So I guess it is that, or like a few others are saying, Fubar2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS