Question After a crash my desktop does not boot or even POST ?

Jan 15, 2021
Hello everyone, I am requesting your help because my Desktop does not work anymore.

Custom configuration:
  • Windows 10
  • MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI
  • EVGA 750 BQ, 750W
  • KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EX (1-Click OC)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (3.9 GHz)
  • DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws V Noir - 16 Go (2 x 8 Go) 3200 MHz - CAS 16
  • Several new and old SSD and HDD
Before the issue:
My Desktop worked fine for around 10 months excepts since few weeks ago my Windows got some problems. Around 3-4 times it start lagging for few seconds then it completly froze. After the last time it did (around one week ago), Windows starts the start repairing tool, I don't remember exactly but I did nothing and rebooted then nothing goes wrong since (I use my Desktop every day).

Start of the issue:
I was using my Desktop (browsing internet, no high performance usage) then my screen went black. Some of my fans (I guess from my CPU or GPU) started running at 100% for few seconds then stopped for few seconds then restarted and again and again ... I switched off my Desktop the hard way and switched on again then the fans restarted to cycle between full speed and no speed. I switched off again, unplugged my Desktop and waited a little bit. When rebooting then fans stopped to have a strange behaviour (they are at 100% only the first seconds as they always did), but I don't have any image nor the BIOS screen that I always had. I tried to enter the BIOS anyway but I can't.

Current issue:
My Desktop does not seem to boot, I guess it does not even POST, I don't see any image on my monitor.

What I tried:
  • Unplug my GPU and use my motherboard HDMI port and use another monitor. Remove my second RAM on the fourth spot.
  • Look at EZ debug led, none remains on. (start with CPU led on during several seconds, then the Boot and VGA blink).
  • Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and restart.
  • Update the BIOS (with version 7C37vAB) with an usb stick. It starts for few seconds (fans starting and usb stick blinking) then it stop.
  • Tomorrow, I will try to buy a new CMOS battery.
Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 15, 2021
Hey there,

It could be your PSU is pretty much dead. Have you another you can try swap with? Maybe a friend could lend you one to test.

Check all cables, specially PSU to mobo etc. That PSU isn't the best, and in a strong system like yours, it could have failed.

Thank you for your reply, I supect also the PSU because yes it's an old one. However I have lights and fans that seem to work normally, is it possible with a dead PSU? I can test with another PSU but I think it's an older one. (I will post its reference later)

Thank you for your reply, I supect also the PSU because yes it's an old one. However I have lights and fans that seem to work normally, is it possible with a dead PSU? I can test with another PSU but I think it's an older one. (I will post its reference later)

Yes, lights might be on, fans might spin up, but not enough power to boot. Yes, try the other one. As long as it's functional, you should be able to boot at least. Then you can work out about getting a new PSU.

Jan 15, 2021
Yes, lights might be on, fans might spin up, but not enough power to boot. Yes, try the other one. As long as it's functional, you should be able to boot at least. Then you can work out about getting a new PSU.

It seems not to be the PSU:

I tested my desktop with a Corsair RM750x 750W. It still have the issue.
I tested my PSU with another desktop, it worked fine.

Jan 15, 2021

Someone suggested that my GPU is faulty and that I don't have integrated graphics in my CPU.
I will perform a test tomorrow.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

TRENDING THREADS