[SOLVED] After a hiatus, in 2020 AMD or Intel?

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
After quite a long hiatus from building pcs and not gaming for years (Even though I thought I would return previously but never did) I've made a decision to build another.

In 2020, Intel current gen or AMD current gen? I had an FX8350 years ago and realized that I wanted an i7 and switched to Intel and couldn't believe the increase in performance overall. I know Ryzen has shook things up in a good way but in 2020 what route should I take? I tend to lean Intel for single thread performance but maybe that is irrelevant for current PC gaming. I have to catch up

Thanks.

Solution
in the i7 bracket I'd be leaning towards the 3700X/3800X over the i7-9700.

the i7's lead is a few % in single threaded performances under benchmarking conditions, the 3700X/3800X comes with twice the threads though, runs cooler and is usually a wee bit cheaper overall..

the i7-10700k could change things if the rumours are true. but currently I'd go with a R7 instead of an i7.
but that's my personal opinion, the i7 isn't a bad CPU and does very well what it is meant to be.
in the i7 bracket I'd be leaning towards the 3700X/3800X over the i7-9700.

the i7's lead is a few % in single threaded performances under benchmarking conditions, the 3700X/3800X comes with twice the threads though, runs cooler and is usually a wee bit cheaper overall..

the i7-10700k could change things if the rumours are true. but currently I'd go with a R7 instead of an i7.
but that's my personal opinion, the i7 isn't a bad CPU and does very well what it is meant to be.

Solution