Question After adding m.2 and swapping cooler - froze at windows now it wont post

plunix

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
I have a pc that I installed an m.2 drive to and swapped to a bigger cpu cooler. I booted to the windows loading screen, it froze once and now it won't post at all.

My system turns on, quickly turns off and on one second later, then it tuns off and on 10 seconds later again and stays on. Is there any significance to this on/off dance?

This situation seems a little different than not posting at all so I'm curious what you think the problem could be. Thanks.

plunix

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
full system spec?
check for bend pin on cpu or the socket?

Do you think installing a cooler could do that even though the cpu was left in place? I'm currently tearing it down piece by piece trying power cycling. I'm pretty much down to the cooler and cpu at this point. I will try removing it.

intel 9600k
1080 founders edition
ddr4 3200 flarex ram
850w evga rm850x
gigabyte z390 m gaming

plunix

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
did you put too much thermal paste on when you change the cooler?
I dont think so. I did have to screw around with it a bit to get it in the right position, which i thought would be worse than it was. When I took it off I had a small amount smudged down the side.

I'm kind of stumped. I brought it to the local place called ibreakufix. It has good reviews and they do free diagnostics. We'll see what thats worth.