after adding more ram sticks - blue screen of deadth

yehiambenshushan

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
I have gigabyte ep45t-ud3lr motherboard, on it, there are (for several years now) 2 stick of ram by Kingstone (2x2 1333mhz).

I recently purchased another 2 sticks (by Samsung) of 4gb each one, at 1060mhz

after I added them to the motherboard in hope to expand my ram capacity, I launched the computer and got the blue screen of death.

how can I solve it and using both the Kingstone and the Samsung sticks to expand my ram capacity?

and by the way - in the CPU-Z it shows my DRAM running at 666mhz - what is that means?
and what exactly I need to do to fix my computer? please help step by step for getting a solution

Photos attached:

https://ibb.co/hYbG0y
https://ibb.co/nsL4nd
https://ibb.co/d7xvtJ

i think samsung is the slower ram right now, but was forced to run at a higher speed than it can handle.

666 means the ram is running at 1333 Mhz (666*2)

check the jedec for both ram, then in bios, you want to use the slower of the two timing (likely the ram will need to run at 533.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, particularly AMD can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

First of all, test each ram stick individually.
Memtest86 will do this.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

Then, test a known good stick in each ram slot to verify that the slots are good.
Sime motherboards require ram to go in specific slots if the motherboard is not fully populated.
Read your motherboard manual.

Ram must all run at the same speed. That will be the speed of the slowest ram, that is why you are seeing 666.
In dual channel mode, that is 1333, the current slowest speed.

The only way to possibly get things to work is to try to increase the ram voltage in the bios.
Sometimes, that works.

If that fails, use the two 4gb Samsung sticks to get 8gb.
If they were not bought in a matched kit, even that might fail.
You must then resort to buying a single kit of the capacity you need and selling the old ram.

yehiambenshushan

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012

So how do I get the voltage needed?
what are the steps?

the ram kit should have a sticker like pc10800 10-10-10-15 @ 1.5V or something similar, that's the base voltage.

you would need to download the motherboard manual, and look for dram voltage or memory voltage setting, that allows you to change the voltage.

i would suggest you to use the timing from your slower 1060 ram and set them in the bios, again you would need to refer to the motherboard manual.

see if that improve stability. also you want to put the same kit of memory in the same colored memory slot.

yehiambenshushan

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012

I'm getting confused..
I didn't find any tutorials, and I'm afraid to set something wrong and risk my computer

the procedure you do is indeed for more advanced user.

if you are not comfortable running these, i would suggest, you just run the system with the 2x4 gb, i don't think the additional 4 gb would great impact your system performance.

just run the 2 sticks of samsung kit, and remove the 2 kingston kit from the motherboard.

yehiambenshushan

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012

Are you sure it won't be such a different?
With just the 2x2 ram the pc felt so sloowww and choked.
First I thought it some kind of crypto mining virus, it wasn't.
So I realized it's time for getting some more ram

2x2 give you 4gb ram, if your system need 4.1, it will slow down.

4x2 give you 8 gb total, so you will experience the slowness when it hits the 8gb mark, unless you are using high memory usage app or game that push it over 8gb mark, its going to be fine.

you still doubled your existing memory , just not the 12gb total that you are looking for.

yehiambenshushan

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012

well, instead of left the old RAM sticks aside, I prefer to use it with the new sticks.