After cable recall, Xbox's still frying!!??

"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message

> As we suspected.

Nice newspapert headline. They didn't even get it grammatically correct.
"X-Box's" is not the plural of "X-Box".

- Cryo

Cryofax wrote:
> "Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> As we suspected.
>
> Nice newspapert headline. They didn't even get it grammatically
> correct. "X-Box's" is not the plural of "X-Box".

Yeah, everyone knows the correct plural is X-Beese

Pluvious wrote:

> As we suspected.

I dunno man. MS may be TEH DEVAL, but can you see them recalling 15 million
Xboxes to fix a power supply problem that's made, like, eight of them catch
on fire?

As for people who don't need the cord getting a duplicate one ... the recall
notice specifically said you don't need the cable (ie. you have an OK power
supply) if your box was made after a certain date. Maybe some dumb people
sent their recall forms in anyway and MS sent them a cable to appease them.
Dunno.

The new cable keeps the box from catching on fire. If your cable's breaker
trips, your Xbox is fuxored and you need to get it fixed. Makes more sense
than sending millions of people new Xboxes or new PSUs. IMO. YMMV. FWIW.
HTH.

-Z-

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message

> As we suspected.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/19/xbox_recall_nofix/
>

> Pictures :
> http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t361537.html

LOL the second link the guy says "With the newer xboxes, you get a
replacement power cord that doesnt look any different. Why? Because theres
nothing wrong". So why did MS replace the newer cords when they could have
easily said there is simply a problem with the older boxes? Sorry but it
just does not make financial sense to replace non faulty goods.

jlc

"Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> As we suspected.
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/19/xbox_recall_nofix/
>>

>> Pictures :
>> http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t361537.html
>>

> LOL the second link the guy says "With the newer xboxes, you get a
> replacement power cord that doesnt look any different. Why? Because theres
> nothing wrong". So why did MS replace the newer cords when they could
> have easily said there is simply a problem with the older boxes? Sorry
> but it just does not make financial sense to replace non faulty goods.

MS did. If you went to the web site where you had to go to order a new cord
it states very clearly which year models need the cord and which didn't. Why
MS sent cords to people that didn't need them is a mystery. But it was clear
which Xbox's did and didn't need the fix. JLC

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message

> MS did. If you went to the web site where you had to go to order a new
> cord it states very clearly which year models need the cord and which
> didn't. Why MS sent cords to people that didn't need them is a mystery.
> But it was clear which Xbox's did and didn't need the fix. JLC

There you go then. The normal looking cords were sent out for a reason.
They are not going to send out replacement cords for the sake of it. Just
because the problem is not evident to people who look at the machine,
doesn't mean there is not a problem.
The register report is incorrect aswell. The normal looking cords are not
identical to the original cords. There is a ridge about 2cm in, my guess is
this is to stop the cord from being pushed in too far. If the cords are
pushed in too far they can be touching vital parts of the system board and
that is likely why they are melting.

> "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>> MS did. If you went to the web site where you had to go to order a new
>> cord it states very clearly which year models need the cord and which
>> didn't. Why MS sent cords to people that didn't need them is a mystery.
>> But it was clear which Xbox's did and didn't need the fix. JLC
>
> There you go then. The normal looking cords were sent out for a reason.
> They are not going to send out replacement cords for the sake of it. Just
> because the problem is not evident to people who look at the machine,
> doesn't mean there is not a problem.
> The register report is incorrect aswell. The normal looking cords are not
> identical to the original cords. There is a ridge about 2cm in, my guess
> is this is to stop the cord from being pushed in too far. If the cords
> are pushed in too far they can be touching vital parts of the system board
> and that is likely why they are melting.

I believe these "identical" cords also have a more snug fit so they don't
put stress on the PS. The article reads like it was written by a 12 year
old.

- Cryo

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Scream" <scream1969@REMOVETEXTINCAPShotmail.com> wrote in message

> I find anything The Register posts suspect. Number one, nobody has
> returned their cable as their article says. You simply request a
> replacement and throw out the old. Number two, they aren't sending them to
> everyone. When you request a replacement on their website, it asks for the
> serial of the Xbox you have and tells you whether or not you need one,
> based on it's age. Two errors of fact in a 200 word article. Big surprise
> considering the source.

3 errors - they say the new cord is identical the the original, but they are
not identical. The latest one has a ridge 2cm in which presumably stops the
cord being inserted too far.

Eric

"Pluvious" wrote in message

> As we suspected.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/19/xbox_recall_nofix/
>

> Pictures :
> http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t361537.html
>

> Pluvious

This would be an interesting scenerio:

Somone (now) purchases an older XBox (with the Foxlink PSU) from a retailer.
Their XBox is still under warranty. They request the new power cord (with
the GFI) from Microsoft. They find the new powercord (with GFI) to keep
tripping and having to be reset. Microsoft would be entitled to
repair/replace the PSU, indicating that this is where the problem truely
resides.

Cheers,
-Eric

perfect

"Cryofax" <ThrowPoopt@YourFace.com> wrote in message
> "Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> As we suspected.
>
> Nice newspapert headline. They didn't even get it grammatically correct.
> "X-Box's" is not the plural of "X-Box".

No suprise. The Register is a joke...no one in their right mind takes
anything that site says seriously.

"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Cryofax wrote:
> > "Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> As we suspected.
> >
> > Nice newspapert headline. They didn't even get it grammatically
> > correct. "X-Box's" is not the plural of "X-Box".
>
> Yeah, everyone knows the correct plural is X-Beese

Is it Xboxen?
grol

grol wrote:
> "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Cryofax wrote:
>>
>>>"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message

>>>Nice newspapert headline. They didn't even get it grammatically
>>>correct. "X-Box's" is not the plural of "X-Box".
>>
>>Yeah, everyone knows the correct plural is X-Beese
>

> Is it Xboxen?
> grol

Imagine a Beowulf cluster of Xboxen.

Swi

"Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > As we suspected.
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/19/xbox_recall_nofix/
> >

> > Pictures :
> > http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t361537.html
> >

> LOL the second link the guy says "With the newer xboxes, you get a
> replacement power cord that doesnt look any different. Why? Because theres
> nothing wrong". So why did MS replace the newer cords when they could have
> easily said there is simply a problem with the older boxes? Sorry but it
> just does not make financial sense to replace non faulty goods.

When I went to the Xbox site it asked for a serial number, then said that my
Xbox didn't need the replacement.
grol

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"grol" <grolschie@NOSPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > As we suspected.
>> >
>> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/19/xbox_recall_nofix/
>> >

>> > Pictures :
>> > http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t361537.html
>> >

>> LOL the second link the guy says "With the newer xboxes, you get a
>> replacement power cord that doesnt look any different. Why? Because
>> theres
>> nothing wrong". So why did MS replace the newer cords when they could
>> have
>> easily said there is simply a problem with the older boxes? Sorry but it
>> just does not make financial sense to replace non faulty goods.
>
> When I went to the Xbox site it asked for a serial number, then said that
> my
> Xbox didn't need the replacement.

So why send useless cords out to some and not others? There is obviously a
reason why they sent the normal cords out, just that it is not evident to
the public. Giving out free cords for the sake of it is not the reason.

> So why send useless cords out to some and not others?

I am not convinced that they did. I think the article is highly suspect.
Personally, I got a card int eh mail from them that indicated that my Xbox
"might" have the problem and I should go to the website and punch in my
serial number. I had already done so a couple days before, and it had told
me I needed a replacement, so I ordered it and got it in about a week.

I think it was a slow news day at The Register, so they asked their "bash
Microsoft" department to cook something up for them.

Eric

> "Beck" wrote in message
> I am not convinced that they did. I think the article is highly suspect.
> Personally, I got a card int eh mail from them that indicated that my Xbox
> "might" have the problem and I should go to the website and punch in my
> serial number. I had already done so a couple days before, and it had
told
> me I needed a replacement, so I ordered it and got it in about a week.
>
> I think it was a slow news day at The Register, so they asked their "bash
> Microsoft" department to cook something up for them.

I didn't bother reading the article from the "Register", but did glance over
some of the messages and photos on the forum linked by the OP.

From the photos and postings by quite a few people regarding the Foxlink
PSU, it is quite apparant that there indeed an issue that needed to be
addressed.

I have two XBoxes (XBox's/XBoxen/XBeese) here. (Nothing wrong with either
one. Just picked up an extra one for convienence to use in a second
location, plus do the LAN thing every now and then.) One is is an older
XBox that may have the Foxlink PSU. I've been inside this XBox a while
back, but don't remember offhand the physical layout for the PSU.

From what I have gathered here, it sounds like what the root of the problem
with these solder points is that the stress put upon the PCB board by the
power cord's connection is physically causing these points to break or
become brittle. This is even more so apparant by those reporting that,
after requesting a new cord, received a slightly modified power cord for
their XBox that does not have the older Foxlink PSU. This slightly modified
power, from how it is described, seems to be a precautionary measure by
Microsoft to ensure that it can't physically push against the PCB used for
the non-Foxlink PCB. Is this necessary for the non-Foxlink PSU? Are these
PSU's subject to the same problem as the Foxlink PSU? I don't know. At the
least, it is a precautionary measure. Perhaps it is also an appeasement
measure as well. I don't know.

What is interesting, however, is Microsoft's decision to ship power cords
with a GFI for XBoxes that do have the Foxlink PSU as a "fix". I've worked
with commercial (and military) equipment that the manufacturer later
supplied a GFI for a known power issue. This is perfectly acceptable for
commercial (and military) equipment, but I would have to question this
decision for a consumer product -- without, at the very least, issuing an
additional precautionary statement about the actual power issue. Question
for those that received the new cord with the GFI: Is it mentioned in the
"manual" that shipped with this cord about the potential for the points on
the PSU's PCB to become broken by using excessive force when connecting the
power cord? I'm suspecting that it isn't, as they didn't include such a
precautionary statement when they first made the PR about power cord
replacements. It would've been in their best interest to have included such
a statement in their original "recall PR". In addition to the statement,
perhaps they could've even mailed out statements (including a caution
sticker about using excessive force, to be applied to the Xbox). Since this
wasn't done, the route that they chose does appear to have some elements of
"damage control".

As I previously noted, I don't recall offhand the layout of the PSU. How
easily could the Foxlink PCB be strengthened? It would seem that there
should be a very easy mounting and/or epoxy solution to strengthen the PCB
in it's fixed location. As a precaution, while strenghtening the PCB, the
solder points in question could also be re-flowed. Having this done at
"Authorized Service Centers" couldn't cost much more than shipping out the
cords with GFI's. Of course, if the problem with the solder points is due
to excessive force when connecting the power cord, Microsoft could
justifiably state that they are not liable to do the fix with any of these
XBoxes outside of the manufacturer warranty. It wouldn't be in their best
PR interest to do such though. If the problem with the solder points is
resulting from a design/manufacturing issue (i.e., thermals breaking the
points) then they have even a bigger problem to contend with.

Anyway, just my few meaningless cents to throw into the fountain.

One thing I will have to commend Microsoft on is the fact that it appears
they have a database on the actual hardware inside each XBox -- based upon
serial number. Quite a few people have commented that they received the
"slight modified power cord" for the XBox with the non-Foxlink PSU, while
receiving the GFI power cord for their XBox with the Foxlink PSU -- even
though both boxes were the same version number.

Cheers,
-Eric

"Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in

> "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>> MS did. If you went to the web site where you had to go to order a
>> new cord it states very clearly which year models need the cord and
>> which didn't. Why MS sent cords to people that didn't need them is a
>> mystery. But it was clear which Xbox's did and didn't need the fix.
>> JLC
>
> There you go then. The normal looking cords were sent out for a
> reason. They are not going to send out replacement cords for the sake
> of it. Just because the problem is not evident to people who look at
> the machine, doesn't mean there is not a problem.
> The register report is incorrect aswell. The normal looking cords are
> not identical to the original cords. There is a ridge about 2cm in,
> my guess is this is to stop the cord from being pushed in too far. If
> the cords are pushed in too far they can be touching vital parts of
> the system board and that is likely why they are melting.

My nephew and I both got replacement cords. For mine, which dates back
to xbox launch day 2001, the plug has a circuit breaker box with test
and reset buttons and the other end has the ridge like you mentioned.
For my nephews, purchased around July of 2003, his replacement cord is
indentical to his original with the exception of the ridge and it fits
on the xbox better.

"Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in

> "grol" <grolschie@NOSPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message

>>> LOL the second link the guy says "With the newer xboxes, you get a
>>> replacement power cord that doesnt look any different. Why? Because
>>> theres
>>> nothing wrong". So why did MS replace the newer cords when they
>>> could have
>>> easily said there is simply a problem with the older boxes? Sorry
>>> but it just does not make financial sense to replace non faulty
>>> goods.
>>
>> When I went to the Xbox site it asked for a serial number, then said
>> that my
>> Xbox didn't need the replacement.
>
> So why send useless cords out to some and not others? There is
> obviously a reason why they sent the normal cords out, just that it is
> not evident to the public. Giving out free cords for the sake of it
> is not the reason.

Which is cheaper: sending out replacement cords to ALL or paying
settlements lawsuits filed by families of SOME injured or killed by fire
and electrocution due to your faulty product.

Relic

grol wrote:
> "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>As we suspected.
>>>
>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/19/xbox_recall_nofix/
>>>

>>>Pictures :
>>>http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t361537.html
>>>

>>LOL the second link the guy says "With the newer xboxes, you get a
>>replacement power cord that doesnt look any different. Why? Because theres
>>nothing wrong". So why did MS replace the newer cords when they could have
>>easily said there is simply a problem with the older boxes? Sorry but it
>>just does not make financial sense to replace non faulty goods.
>

> When I went to the Xbox site it asked for a serial number, then said that my
> Xbox didn't need the replacement.
> grol

Well, I had gotten the newer cord in the mail. But
when, a couple of weeks ago I gave up trying to fix
the older XBox, I used it and the older PS2 (had bought
the newer version PS2 and didn't need the old version) to
get a new XBox. It was made in late Jan. of this year, but
to no surprise, the cord was the same as the old version.
I paid for a guarantee from EB just in case.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Joe Phillips" <littlejoeflubNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> My nephew and I both got replacement cords. For mine, which dates back
> to xbox launch day 2001, the plug has a circuit breaker box with test
> and reset buttons and the other end has the ridge like you mentioned.
> For my nephews, purchased around July of 2003, his replacement cord is
> indentical to his original with the exception of the ridge and it fits
> on the xbox better.

Yes I got the same type as your nephew. Its definitely a better fit. Maybe
people had been pushing them too far in causing the problem.

> Which is cheaper: sending out replacement cords to ALL or paying
> settlements lawsuits filed by families of SOME injured or killed by fire
> and electrocution due to your faulty product.

What I mean is there is no point in sending out cords to replace ones that
are NOT faulty. It does not make financial sense because if they are not
faulty they pose no risk. Like the cord your nephew got - the reports are
saying MS sent out cords just to send them out. But MS would not do that.
They would only send out cords if there was a risk. Therefore people saying
the second cords are pointless are wrong.

"USAF LM" <MMMmmmmm@spam.eat> wrote in message
> grol wrote:
> > "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >>Yeah, everyone knows the correct plural is X-Beese
> >

> > Is it Xboxen?
> > grol
>
> Imagine a Beowulf cluster of Xboxen.

In Soviet Russia, a beowulf cluster of Xboxen imagines you!

<snip>

> > Which is cheaper: sending out replacement cords to ALL or paying
> > settlements lawsuits filed by families of SOME injured or killed by fire
> > and electrocution due to your faulty product.
>
> What I mean is there is no point in sending out cords to replace ones that
> are NOT faulty. It does not make financial sense because if they are not
> faulty they pose no risk. Like the cord your nephew got - the reports are
> saying MS sent out cords just to send them out. But MS would not do that.
> They would only send out cords if there was a risk. Therefore people saying
> the second cords are pointless are wrong.

As far as i can see it there is no point in sending out replacement
cords AT ALL. I opened my XBOX yesterday to check up on the power
supply and the ' bad soldered contacts'. I removed all the solder from
the suspicious contacts to check how the power connector is assembled
to the PCB.

SHOCKER !!! The pins from the power connector, which should be clearly
visible after removing the solder, were BARELY visible. The pins are
just TOO DAMN SHORT to be soldered correctly; they stick out about
0.5mm which surely isnt enough to make a decent, strong solder joint.

After seeing this i can easily conclude that the power supply
construction is faulty and that replacing cords won't fix that. I can
also conclude that, in due time and with enough plugging / unplugging,
ALL the PSU's of that type (dunno the name anymore i'm sorry) will
fail. Not just 1 in 10.000.

Just my 2 cents

Smoke

Zackman <zackman@spamisevilearthling.net> wrote:

> I dunno man. MS may be TEH DEVAL, but can you see them recalling 15 million
> Xboxes to fix a power supply problem that's made, like, eight of them catch
> on fire?

Considering how much money Microsoft has, all it would take would be 1
incident of fire linked to the XBox's power supply, and the next thing
you'd know you'd have a humongous world-wide class action suit aimmed at
Microsoft.

> The new cable keeps the box from catching on fire. If your cable's breaker
> trips, your Xbox is fuxored and you need to get it fixed. Makes more sense
> than sending millions of people new Xboxes or new PSUs. IMO. YMMV. FWIW.
> HTH.

I still don't consider it a good fix though. IMHO, they should have set
up local repair places near major cities for people to bring their boxes
in for turn-around service. After all, just how hard would it be to swap
out the power supply? Instead, they ship you big ugly cable.