Question After changing gpu thermal paste computer making loud noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2020
I took apart my gpu and put new thermal paste on it, then when I put it back it was sounded like it was coil whining. I changed the psu and gpu and it still sounded like there was coil whine, I changed my ram and motherboard and it still sounded like coil whine. I’m really not sure what’s wrong with my PC I think it is the CPU which I have changed the fan out for. (made no difference) I only have ssds, I do not have any mechanical drives in the pc.
Can anyone help me diagnose this?

im new im not sure how to put my specs on here do i just type them?
example

motherboard make/model:
CPU/CPU Cooler:
RAM:
GPU:
PSU make/model:
disks:
case:
...I changed the psu and gpu and it still sounded like there was coil whine, I changed my ram and motherboard and it still sounded like coil whine. I’m really not sure what’s wrong with my PC I think it is the CPU which I have changed the fan out for. (made no difference) I only have ssds, I do not have any mechanical drives in the pc...
considering that pretty much everything has been replaced and the sound persists, i would guess that it could be a case fan making the sound.
try stopping each one one at a time and see if the sound stops along with one of them.

Apr 2, 2020
Here are my Specs
motherboard make/model:MSI Mortar B360M
CPU/CPU Cooler:I5-9400f with Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
RAM:16GB (4x4) Ballistix 2666mhz
GPU:Zotac Twin Fan 2060
PSU make/model: EVGA 600W Bronze
disks: 4x SSD (120GB, 240GB, 480GB,126)
case: NZXT H500

Apr 2, 2020
example

motherboard make/model:
CPU/CPU Cooler:
RAM:
GPU:
PSU make/model:
disks:
case:
considering that pretty much everything has been replaced and the sound persists, i would guess that it could be a case fan making the sound.
try stopping each one one at a time and see if the sound stops along with one of them.
if the case fans are fine, is it possible for CPU Coil whine though?

it is highly unlikely, almost impossible, to get the same issue with 3 different cards.
if it's been the same make/model each time; one way to rule this out is to check user reviews on different retailer sites(NewEgg, Amazon, TigerDirect, etc). if it is this common it will be mentioned many times with low scores for this model across all or most of the sites.

still considering that almost everything has been replaced and the sound persists;
it could possibly be your case. does it have a front panel drive access LED, a light that shines or flickers while data is being accessed?
and it could be one of the SSDs if they have been there all through the issue. try disconnecting all but the OS drive and see if it stops.

Apr 2, 2020
it is highly unlikely, almost impossible, to get the same issue with 3 different cards.
if it's been the same make/model each time; one way to rule this out is to check user reviews on different retailer sites(NewEgg, Amazon, TigerDirect, etc). if it is this common it will be mentioned many times with low scores for this model across all or most of the sites.

still considering that almost everything has been replaced and the sound persists;
it could possibly be your case. does it have a front panel drive access LED, a light that shines or flickers while data is being accessed?
and it could be one of the SSDs if they have been there all through the issue. try disconnecting all but the OS drive and see if it stops.
They are different brands. I think what happened was my old PSU was giving bad power and nearly killed any part that i plugged into it and i think i tried it on this board not this gpu, could it be possible that this board is damaged?

I will try to troubleshoot the drives now i will switch them all out see if it helps.

Apr 2, 2020
I have tested it some more and it still has this issue I’ve decided to just rma the gpu and motherboard, I’ll get back to this post in about a month and I’ll post the result.

Apr 2, 2020
Update, i got a new board and card still having the issue ive changed every component in this pc except the CPU.
I dont know what too do. i even wiped and installed a fresh OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.