[SOLVED] After changing MB RAID settings boot drive seems cleared

RoccatKanga

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Hello, I'm new here.
I hope someone can help me.
I wanted to upgrade my storage.
In addition to an existing 500GB SSD holding the OS and all data, I added two 4TB HDDs in a RAID 1 Array.

[Note: I have no experience whatsoever regarding RAID setups. I did however gather some information online.]

Motherboard: B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
SSD: Crucial MX500
HDDs: WD Red WD40EFRX

I followed the instructions given in the Motherboards User Guide.(starting on page 104)(
That includes enabling windows WHQL support (as the drives are large)

After following the steps,I assumed the pc would simply boot as usual. However, it couldn't find the boot drive. My first thought was, that I accidentally erased the sad when formatting the HDDs. While this might have happened, the first problem is that the motherboard doesn't even recognize it anymore. I noticed that when I tried to do a fresh windows install with a usb stick. The installation failed because no drive could be found to install windows on.
In the bios, all data ports are shown empty( while all 3 drives are connected). On the other hand, in the raid settings(RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility ) all 3 drives show up, the ssd in non-raid mode in its own array and both HDDs in raid-mode in a second array.
My hope is that someone here can tell me the setting I overlooked. Best case, the ssd still contains all data and I don't need a fresh windows install.

P.S. still going to upload some images of current bios settings when I find time to figure that out.

Solution
Hey, I solved the issue.
For some reason after enabling WQHL Windows support out of the 13 boot options 7 disappeared.

disabling WHQL allowed me to select the ssd again.
I don't know why.

now I want to do windows RAID instead of Motherboard RAID.

THank you for your Ideas!

RealBeast

Titan
Perhaps, you are correct but I assumed that he installed W10 with AHCI mode and wants to switch to RAID to use motherboard RAID for his 2 HDDs. It is pretty easy to do without a clean install.

First, change back to AHCI mode in BIOS to be able to boot again.
Then use msconfig to enable a safe boot (Windows Key + R, msconfig, Boot tab, Safe boot), and next restart.
After the restart enter BIOS settings and switch to RAID mode, exit, save.
Safe boot into Windows again, and use msconfig to disable safe boot, then restart once more.

And it is really easy to also go from RAID to AHCI after installation if that is the desired change.

RoccatKanga

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Perhaps, you are correct but I assumed that he installed W10 with AHCI mode and wants to switch to RAID to use motherboard RAID for his 2 HDDs. It is pretty easy to do without a clean install.

First, change back to AHCI mode in BIOS to be able to boot again.
Then use msconfig to enable a safe boot (Windows Key + R, msconfig, Boot tab, Safe boot), and next restart.
After the restart enter BIOS settings and switch to RAID mode, exit, save.
Safe boot into Windows again, and use msconfig to disable safe boot, then restart once more.

And it is really easy to also go from RAID to AHCI after installation if that is the desired change.
Thanks for your help. I think you best understood my situation.
I now changed MB settings back to AHCI from RAID. It now recognises all 3 disks again. Still windows won't boot of m ssd.
Is it right to assume all data on the ssd has been lost? I would then try a fresh install. Would the installer warn me if there is any old data on the ssd? I would like to save it in that case.

Edit: main concern is getting windows running again, not achieving MB raid for HDDs

RoccatKanga

Prominent
May 10, 2019
So you don't actually install anything?
Not too familiar with that on W10 as you can see.
No install wished.
Main project was setting up the additional Disks.
Then windows "disappeared", so I thought about installing that again.
I however hope it might reappear together with my data on the ssd, since I didn't intentionally delete it.
Or would creating a one disk Non- raid array in the raid manager ( does this make any sense) clear it?

popatim

Titan
In AHCI mode, make sure that Windows Boot manager is the Boot device.
You could also try the Boot override and select the SSD then, just to see if it still boots windows. You should be able to access boot override from within the bios or during post. During Post it will be presented at the same time as "Press Del to enter setup" is displayed. It's usually one of the F-keys.

RoccatKanga

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Hey, I solved the issue.
For some reason after enabling WQHL Windows support out of the 13 boot options 7 disappeared.

disabling WHQL allowed me to select the ssd again.
I don't know why.

now I want to do windows RAID instead of Motherboard RAID.

THank you for your Ideas!

Solution