After Clean Install Windows 7 Takes >5min to Load...

BigBlueCane

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Ok I've tried everything and I'm stuck.

I have a home built system that had a WD 250 gb drive on SATA and an 80 gb drive on IDE. Its an Intel mobo DG33TL. I bought a brand new WD Black 500 gb drive. I plugged that into an SATA port to have all 3 drives in the system. I had a hard time getting the pc to recognize all three drives together but I got it. Win 7 pro 64 was originally installed on the older 250 gb drive.

As I was trying to get the drives to work, I noticed that when the BIOS was set to RAID (even if I didn't set up a RAID) Windows would load lightning fast. What I ended up doing was I wiped clean the 250 gb drive then did a fresh Windows install on the 500 gb drive. However, during the installation (even with updated drives and bios) windows would not let me install with the RAID setting in the BIOS. So I changed it to AHCI and the install went through.

The result is though that now Windows takes more than 5 minutes to load. It goes through the POST then when it gets to the Windows logo and "loading windows" it stays there a good 5 minutes before it takes me to the login screen.

I did ALL of the windows updates to get to SP1 and everything. I installed all the bios drives for the mobo and nothing works. I tried switching it back to RAID in the drive configuration in the BIOS and it doesn't load correctly like that. I just don't know what to do now.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated...thanks

Solution
AHCI setting if If you are running just sata drives. you need to change from AHCI to IDE not RAID. Your other Option is to unplug teh IDE drive and just run the Sata drives.

to properly change this setting you need to either reinstall the OS or do registry editing ONLY if you are familiar with doing so.

reset the setting to IDE then reinstall windows.

this is how to do it by registry editing. Yes its for vista but will work the same on Win 7. http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/271218-switch-ahci-ide-tutorial-howto.html
AHCI setting if If you are running just sata drives. you need to change from AHCI to IDE not RAID. Your other Option is to unplug teh IDE drive and just run the Sata drives.

to properly change this setting you need to either reinstall the OS or do registry editing ONLY if you are familiar with doing so.

reset the setting to IDE then reinstall windows.

this is how to do it by registry editing. Yes its for vista but will work the same on Win 7. http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/271218-switch-ahci-ide-tutorial-howto.html

Solution

BigBlueCane

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Ok I will set it to IDE and do a clean install. I'll give an update as to how it goes. Hopefully it solves it. Just downloading the updates and having to restart every time took me all week to do.