[SOLVED] After cloning, recovery partition is 190gb too big

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Any ideas? I cloned the 32gb ssd to the 256gb m.2 and the 256gb only has 29gb usable. 200gb is "healthy (recovery partition) can I upload a picture?

System- windows 10, lenovo ideapad 110s, came with 32gb ssd, added adata 256gb su800 m.2.

Solution
Here I was thinking it would make a big difference. It's my girlfriends and she was just gunna get a microsd and I said NO. I know about computers and stuff a sata,m.2 would be a much better option. LOL. Thanks for the advice!
With a device like there, there isn't a lot you can do.
Yours is a lot more flexible than mine. But the microSD card in mine is just for extra data. Movies, music, etc, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
First off, this is still booting from the original drive.

Classic mistake...you must disconnect the old drive and allow the system to try to boot from the new drive on its own.

Personally, I'd just redo the clone operation, instead of trying to "fix it'.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

What utility did you use to clone?
What is the make/model of your new ssd?

A clone is a bit for bit copy so the original 29gb space is what got cloned.

A ssd maker will usually have a utility to move windows to their ssd and reallocate space.
Samsung has a nice one for their devices.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
What utility did you use to clone?
What is the make/model of your new ssd?

A clone is a bit for bit copy so the original 29gb space is what got cloned.

A ssd maker will usually have a utility to move windows to their ssd and reallocate space.
Samsung has a nice one for their devices.

Thanks for the help. Original storage is a hynix eMMC 32gb. It doesn't look like it can removed, a ground wire maybe is stuck to it? The new is an adata su800 m.2 256gb. That is in the only available sata,m.2 slot. Lenovo has a button for switching boot drive so I use that to troubleshoot the adata. It boots fine and stable on either drive. I swiched back to the eMMC after I noticed the adata with such little usable space. I used Acronis clone tool free with ssd purchase. I have cloned my alienware m17r3 punny 128gb to a crucial 1tb and acronis worked fine. I did remove the old ssd from the alienware though. Will samsung clone tool work for adata ssd? Thank you to the community for such quick responses!

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
In this system, I'd recommend NOT cloning it.
The 32GB source drive has little in it but the OS, so you're not really saving anything.

Just do a clean install, wiping both drives as you go through the process.

That makes a lot of sense. Is approximately 29gb even big enough to fit windows 10 and still have enough space for speedy operation? Am I right in saying flash slows way down when near max capacity?

USAFRet

Titan
That makes a lot of sense. Is approximately 29gb even big enough to fit windows 10 and still have enough space for speedy operation? Am I right in saying flash slows way down when near max capacity?
Yes, just barely.
I have an Asus Transformer with a 32GB eMM drive similar to yours.
It works, just barely.
Of course, there is a 256GB microSD card in the side slot...;)

Good for a web browser/email/movie box/travel device...not much more

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Here I was thinking it would make a big difference. It's my girlfriends and she was just gunna get a microsd and I said NO. I know about computers and stuff a sata,m.2 would be a much better option. LOL. Thanks for the advice!

No, the Samsung tool works only on Samsung devices.
It is a proprietary version of clonix that is a windows C drive mover, and not a clone.
Possibly, there is a paid version of clonix that might do a similar job.
The adata site points to this:

If you will try to do a clean install on the adata ssd, you should remove/disable the current drive during the process.
A clean install on a laptop is always tricky to find the needed drivers.
Best to have them in hand on a usb stick.

USAFRet

Titan
With a device like there, there isn't a lot you can do.
Yours is a lot more flexible than mine. But the microSD card in mine is just for extra data. Movies, music, etc, etc.

Solution