After cloning to SSD, desktop is flashing

Geekernatir

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
After recently getting an SSD from ADATA, I decided to clone my hard drive using the Acronis tool that comes free with it. I successfully transferred over all my data except my steam folder, my games folder and my videos (to condense it down enough to fit) When I then try to launch from my SSD, I can get past the login screen with my password but I am greeted with a black screen unless I wait a while or I open task manager. When I do this, my desktop background starts to flash about once a seconds along with the start, search and arrow from the right hand side of the task bar flashing with it. It looks like explorer is trying to start but failing. looking more into this, I also noticed that when I open task manager exactly once every 2 flashes the PID of explorer.exe changes as if it restarted and the WerFault.exe opens every now and then before disappearing off the tasks. I found a 'solution' to a similar problem which did not work for me which involved stopping 2 services in msconfig: (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support and (2) Windows Error Report Service. This seemed to work for most people with the similar problem but no luck for me. I have also tried safe mode with no luck, the same problem

I am on Windows 10 and am able to use my PC fine by booting from the hard drive.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated and I should be able to provide any other details although note I can only open things while I am booted from my SSD from the File>Run New Taks which is hard due to the flashing resetting the text sometimes.

Solution
right click This PC on desktop
select properties
on next screen at bottom of page there is a section regarding activation. Since you are not activated it should have options there to allow you to enter old key or contact Microsoft. The win 10 key on hdd is a generic key and not what you would enter here.

If its installed on the same hardware as HDD was and you aren't still trying to run hdd at same time, it is likely something you need to talk to Microsoft about.

if for any reason you can't open that page, you can look here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-product-activation-in-windows/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't like cloning, strange things can happen (this applies to reality too). I would do a fresh install on ssd rather than clone to it, its possible the cloning process didn't reproduce the hidden boot partition. It might explain the blank screen you get at boot. Turning off two windows error reporting services to fix anything sounds like a big mistake. Better to fix it than ignore it.

have you still got win 10 on old hdd attached at same time? The way UEFI boot method works is it looks for a particular file in a hidden partition on every drive attached to it. so if you have 2 win 10 drives attached it might be looking at the hdd instead of the SSD

Geekernatir

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
OK, I tried unplugging the HDD and I decided I will just give in to a fresh install, I think it's probably best, although, how can I go about that without buying a new copy of windows?

Colif

Win 11 Master

Since you have win 10 installed, you can download windows 10 installer from here and make your own: Win 10 media creation tool

When installing and you get to part asking for licence key, click "I don't have a key" and pc should auto activate on install.

Microsoft have a code that matches your pc on their servers so know its a legit copy.

Geekernatir

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014

Thanks, I'll do that, assuming it works thank you very much.

Geekernatir

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014

OK, I installed Windows like you said, it's working but it won't automatically activate, do I need to do something else you didn't say?

When opening settings it says "Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error 0x802F7001" But I definitely have genuine windows on my HDD

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click This PC on desktop
select properties
on next screen at bottom of page there is a section regarding activation. Since you are not activated it should have options there to allow you to enter old key or contact Microsoft. The win 10 key on hdd is a generic key and not what you would enter here.

If its installed on the same hardware as HDD was and you aren't still trying to run hdd at same time, it is likely something you need to talk to Microsoft about.

if for any reason you can't open that page, you can look here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-product-activation-in-windows/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

Solution