After cold start, Win 10 does not automatically connect to WiFi.

Mar 3, 2018
My computer is a desktop and there are no other computers in the apartment.

Recently converted from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After a cold start with Windows 7, the computer automatically found and connected to the WiFI. After a cold start with Windows 10, it does not automatically connect to WiFi - the connection to WiFi must be done manually, after which the connection seems fine.

With Windows 10 on a restart, the computer automatically finds the WiFi.

What I would like is for Windows 10, after a cold start, to automatically connect to WiFi

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Solution
windows is hard to anticipate at the best of times, you could check windows update history and see if you got anything in the last few days.

I find sometimes my internet doesn't connect right after startup but that mainly happens if I have unplugged PC and had Ethernet cable detached (I unplug PC during storms as I prefer to go without PC a shirt while rather than get a power surge and be without PC for a longer time). Since its really just sleeping when you turn it off, it shouldn't be having any problems waking up again.

I would still see if any newer drivers for Wifi, if its using win 7 drivers it could just be a glitch in them that sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't

Colif

Win 11 Master
Check you have the latest Wifi drivers. It sounds like they aren't written for the new power schemes used by Win 10

Win 10 doesn't turn off when you hit shutdown, it uses hybrid hibernate and puts PC into a low power state. When you turn it back on, its actually just waking up. This allows win 10 to keep a copy of loaded drivers _ kernel in the ram, making startup much faster. Turning off fast startup will mean PC is actually off. The only time its normally off otherwise is during a restart.

This should create the same reaction as a restart - try turning off fast startup: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Mar 3, 2018

Mar 3, 2018

Hello Colif Thanks for your input.

The desktop computer is old, almost 5 yrs, and did not come with WiFi. The WiFi was added about 4 months ago when I was running Windows 7.

That being so, would getting the latest WiFi drivers, assuming they are out of date, solve the problem without turning fast startup off OR should I just first investigate what the status is of those drivers and go from there?

Thanks.

Mar 3, 2018

Good day Colif

Thanks for that suggestion. Here is an update.

I have not yet any changes to Windows 10. I powered the machine down for the night. When I restarted it in the morning, it automatically connected to the internet.

I then did an additional 10 cold starts. Summing up, out of the 11 eleven cold starts, the computer automatically found the WiFi 9 out of the 11 cold starts.

Is it possible that something else is going on? (Never had this problem with Windows 7)

Thanks for your anticipated assistance.

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows is hard to anticipate at the best of times, you could check windows update history and see if you got anything in the last few days.

I find sometimes my internet doesn't connect right after startup but that mainly happens if I have unplugged PC and had Ethernet cable detached (I unplug PC during storms as I prefer to go without PC a shirt while rather than get a power surge and be without PC for a longer time). Since its really just sleeping when you turn it off, it shouldn't be having any problems waking up again.

I would still see if any newer drivers for Wifi, if its using win 7 drivers it could just be a glitch in them that sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't

Solution
Mar 3, 2018

Hi Colif Thanks for your reply.

Update history shows last Windows 10 updates were Feb 13, 2018. I also checked for any Windows 10 updates - none outstanding - machine is up to date.

I shall certainly follow up on the WiFi drivers tomorrow and see how that goes.

Thanks