Question After connecting a switch, my desktop cant get network access but other computers can

mielke44

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
OK so, here we go.
Specs:
Switch Mercusys 5 port 10/100mbs MS105 switch
my MOBO: ASUS H110M-K
network adapter: Realtek PCIe GbE Family controller (fully updated, as of april 23rd)
Cables: crossed RJ45 pinned in T568-A way.
Modem: Askey RTF3507VW-N1 (fully updated, got it from ISP because of optic fiber)

Setup: Modem/router -> switch -> desktop (other pcs aswell)
Switch info: Connected 3 out of 5 ports, one for the modem (middle one) and the other two (which I tested on all other ports) are pcs, one connects normaly, the other one is the faulty one.

The issue:
When I connected my desktop to the switch, win10 identifies the network, can get a IP (manually, since it won't access DHCP either, giving me the obnoxious 169.254.X.X ip) but cant get any conection at all (can't even enter default gateway). I've disabled/enabled DHCP, nothing, IPV6, nothing, tried flushing and changing DNS (google's to OpenDNS's) tried the ipconfig /renew and /release, also nothing, tried almost every command related to netsh, also nothing. Windows 10 troubleshooter sometimes says its ethernet not configured properly, or DNS server is not available, or just that my modem has some connectivity issues. Tried factory resetting my modem, even did a fresh install of windows and all network-related drivers. What bugs me though, is that on the same setup, my other notebook connects, but not my desktop. Also every other computer on the network (around 5 pcs) are connected to the DHCP server, even the other one in the same switch, which works fine.

Connecting my desktop directly to the modem works just fine, the problem is with the switch, resetting it also does nothing (just plugged and unplugged the power cable)

mielke44

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
If I follow correctly you are using a crossover cable(s).

What devices is the cross over cable connecting?

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/crossover-cable-ethernet-817870

http://www.cables-solutions.com/difference-between-straight-through-and-crossover-cable.html
So here is the thing, I used to have a cable going from my pc straight to the modem (around 5m), the crossover cable, direct connection. After I bought the switch, the cable got divided in two parts, the modem - switch connection, and the switch - pc connection.
Maybe this clarifies better:
- before switch:
Modem - crossover cable - Desktop
- After switch
Modem - crossover cable - switch - crossover cable - Desktop
Hope it helps
Also, the cable came from the store as T568-A, I just kept the pattern.

mielke44

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
There are oddball occasions when a nic and switch won't like each other. My only suggestion is to buy a different brand switch. I've seen issue like this solve by another switch.
Yeah, I'd bet on this one too. But I would like to know what is making them dislike each other, is a Desktop side config? Is the cable config? Is the switch board that is setup weird?
Anyways, looking to buy a new small switch, 5 ports, same same, but a different brand.

Yeah, I'd bet on this one too. But I would like to know what is making them dislike each other, is a Desktop side config? Is the cable config? Is the switch board that is setup weird?
Anyways, looking to buy a new small switch, 5 ports, same same, but a different brand.
I would too, but I never figured it out in the one time I had it personally and the one time I helped someone online. All I could guess is that there are a lot of things on the hardware level that are different implementations of the same standards and somewhere these implementations can have a conflict.

Hopefully the new switch does it. :) But if not, post here and we'll figure it out. :)