Question After Effects software installed on slower SSD, reading files from a fast NVME

ldotchopz

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
Hello,

I have Adobe After Effects installed on my C drive that is using a regular SSD wiith a read and write speed of 390/83. I am working with large image sequences which are over a gigabyte each. If i were to put them on my D drive which is a fast NVME read and write of 3444/949, would the fact that the software thats reading them is on a slower drive have an effect on the speed of which they are read? since the software itself is on a slower drive, does the data have to be read thought the NVME and then transfered into the SSD? i hope this is clear what i am asking. I'm looking for peak performance but if the fact that the software is on a slower drive then its a bottleneck. Thanks!

Hello,

I have Adobe After Effects installed on my C drive that is using a regular SSD wiith a read and write speed of 390/83. I am working with large image sequences which are over a gigabyte each. If i were to put them on my D drive which is a fast NVME read and write of 3444/949, would the fact that the software thats reading them is on a slower drive have an effect on the speed of which they are read? since the software itself is on a slower drive, does the data have to be read thought the NVME and then transfered into the SSD? i hope this is clear what i am asking. I'm looking for peak performance but if the fact that the software is on a slower drive then its a bottleneck. Thanks!
It might depend on where the software stores its temporary working files. If there's a setting for temp file location, changing that would be a good start.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,

What are all the parts in this system, particularly the motherboard and specific drives?
Those drive speeds are pretty slow.

ldotchopz

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
What are all the parts in this system, particularly the motherboard and specific drives?
Those drive speeds are pretty slow.
I know the first drive is slow but other is not what i'd call slow. what kind of speeds do you get out of interest?

my motherboard is a zeneth extreme alpha 2
32 core amd threadripper 3970x
2080TI
128gb ram

USAFRet

Titan
I know the first drive is slow but other is not what i'd call slow. what kind of speeds do you get out of interest?

my motherboard is a zeneth extreme alpha 2
32 core amd threadripper 3970x
2080TI
128gb ram
The "390/83" is a SATA III SSD?
The "3444/949 " is an NVMe of some type?

This is typical of my SATA III SSDs.
DPKiDtz.png