After Eight Years, Vic Gundotra Is Leaving Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Congrats on creating a social network nobody uses.

Actually they have over 343 million users. So I would do some research before bashing something you don't use, prick.

The only reason they have 343 million users is because if you get a gmail account, you get a google+ account. Also, most android phones require you to setup an account with google as well. So, just because they have 343 million signed up doesn't mean that all 343 use it (I have it, but I don't use it)

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Actually they have over 343 million users. So I would do some research before bashing something you don't use, prick.

The only reason they have 343 million users is because if you get a gmail account, you get a google+ account. Also, most android phones require you to setup an account with google as well. So, just because they have 343 million signed up doesn't mean that all 343 use it (I have it, but I don't use it)

They aslo force it upon you. Forcing users who have Youtube accounts to link it with the Googe+ account help bump up those numbers and its creapy. I called someone on my android phone who has a Google+ account, next thing i know i see their account in the recomended list to add to my circles.

What makes it worse is that you cannot review an App on Google Play without a Google+ account. Found out he hard way after I deleted my Google+ account yesterday that all my Google Play reviews now say "Goggle User" and I cannot edit them or post new ones.

You cannot post a review on Google Maps about a business without a Google+ account either

So they indeed force it upon users when they intergraded it with their most used sites. In the end, I had to end up reactivating my Google+ account because I couldn't edit my reviews on business in Maps and Google Play or post new ones.

sephirothmk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Maybe now Google will stop shoving Google+ down our throats. I have Google+ but I don't want it, I was tricked/forced into signing up when i clicked something on my phone. Now I can't turn it off unless I also turn off my Gmail and Youtube accounts. And i don't want to turn them off.......

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

Actually they have over 343 million users. So I would do some research before bashing something you don't use.
Before bashing others you may want to do your own research and know that the quoted number of registered users is a much different number than actual active users.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
F*** you Vic. Good riddance. I've never known a product that's been so forcefully rammed down everyone's throats so hard before.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Maybe now Google will stop shoving Google+ down our throats. I have Google+ but I don't want it, I was tricked/forced into signing up when i clicked something on my phone. Now I can't turn it off unless I also turn off my Gmail and Youtube accounts. And i don't want to turn them off.......

Actually the only account it affects is your Youtube channel, not your Youtube account. If you delete your Google+ account it deletes your youtube channel, only your channel. You still have your subscriptions that you suscribed to but is anyone suscribed to you they will be deleted.

Just to add, it also affects your Google Play reviews and your Google Maps/ Yelp reviews. You will no longer be able to post new ones or edit previous ones

Your photos will remain because those are in Picasa,Your conacts will remain because those are in Gmail, etc.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
wow, the wanton idiocy of the the comments here is staggering.
"tricked into G+?"
"nobody uses it?"
the ONLY relevant comment is the YouTube integration, but I'd hardly call that a bane to Youtube, that was more like a welcome overhaul to that entire system. However, as an active user of G+ since beta, I'm now forced into having stupid youtube troll comments whenever I share a video to my stream.

now, despite that forced integration there exists among the highest interactivity level among G+ users over any other social network. Amanda Blain is among only tech reporters that's written a G+ article that wasn't a load of baseless click-bait opinions on G+ being a ghost town; i suggest you all read it, with lovely, annotated facts: http://www.amandablain.com/google-plus-ghost-town/

the only other person that points out a relevant fact is you don't _actually_ need a G+ account for google services, you can go and simply TURN IT OFF, and it's hardly the difficulty level that would confuse any Competent Tom's Hardware patron.

I know its terrible when companies give you a free product and then force another free web based product on you. If anything at least they would make it a program that you install but no nothing even installs on your computer. Just crazy. One day I even had Vic standing behind me forcing me to use G+. <sarcasm off>

Status
Not open for further replies.