after failed macrium clone can't see drive in XP [SOLVED]

Mar 26, 2018
Tried to clone to a new drive of the same size using Reflect (free) and it failed. Now I can't see the drive in XP.

Mar 26, 2018

The cloned drive. I believe there is something wrong with the drive I'm trying to clone, as it will not complete a scandisk without freezing up. This was the initial reason for me wanting to clone it before disaster set in.

Mar 26, 2018
I removed the failed clone that was no longer visible and connected it to another XP machine, and booted with a cd that would boot into dos with an old version of Ghost on it. I then proceeded to clone that disk, to see if there was a problem with the target disc. It cloned fine.

So you may have done something wrong in Macrium Reflect if clone was successful with Ghost.

MR can be a bit confusing as I recall since it does things a bit differently to most of the other cloning apps.

Or maybe MR just wasn't running right on your system - - hard to say.

Anyway, glad you found a workaround.

Mar 26, 2018

I'm thinking that the problem with MR not completing the clone, was the source drive. The success with Ghost was using a different source disk and a different XP machine. I also tried MR in that combination (different source disk,different XP machine) and it worked as well. I couldn't get either MR or Ghost to work with the original source disk, but was ultimately able to get the files I needed from it by placing it in the SATA 2 port, and using the freshly cloned drive in the other XP machine. From there I was also able to successfully run scandisk on ( now as D drive) the troubled drive. Thank you for your help.

popatim

Titan
run a chkdsk c: /r from an admin level command prompt on the source. It will ask you for permission to run at the next startup.
This should remap bad sectors that it finds and then you can try to reimage/clone again.

I would advise having backed up the most important stuff first though.

If that fails and you still wish to proceed with a clone, in Reflect's "Advanced>Advanced backup options", check off the box to ignore bad sectors.

Mar 26, 2018
I am doing that as I type this message. When I had said earlier that I was able to connect the troubled source drive to SATA 2 and run the XP machine using a fresh clone in SATA 1, I was able to run scandisk on the troubled (now D) drive successfully. I don't remember the exact wording, but I saw that it was finding 'clusters'? and doing something (successfully) with them. It did complete the scan. Is scandisk the same as chkdsk? As I am looking over watching it run, it looks like the same process. I will attempt to clone it again using MR after it has completed this check. Thanks for this forum and all your help with this matter.

TRENDING THREADS