Question After GPU upgrade, system won't boot or turn on besides fans and motherboard lights ?

Jul 14, 2023
I upgraded from a GTX 1070 to an RX 6700 XT, added a 2TB NVMe SSD and an additional 16GB of DDR4 RAM. Only the motherboard lights turn on now ?

System before upgrades
Motherboard: z370 a pro
620 watt power supply
cpu: i5-8400
GPU: gtx 1070
ram: 16gb
1 Tb sata ssd
2 dvd rw

System after upgrades
Motherboard: z370 a pro
620 watt power supply
cpu: i5-8400
GPU: rx 6700XT
ram: 32gb
1 Tb sata ssd
2 TB nvme ssd
2 dvd rw

zx128k

Reputable
Memory problems from miss matched kits can take forever to fix. You sometimes have to do most of the timings manually. Other times it just never works right. Some people it just works without issues.

The main point is getting RAM stable takes a lot of testing which takes many hours. Four matched DIMMs have the best chance of just working if the motherboard supports them. Normally you can get away with 2 kits of the same RAM. Two different kits, with two different memory ICs and the problems will be likely certain.

Reactions: cpt. corvoss
Jul 14, 2023
Okay,I reset the cmos battery and it stops cycling. The issue now is that I'm not getting any display from my integrated graphics or any power from the usb ports. Something I noticed is that my motherboard has a light that is flashing that says ez debug light.

zx128k

Reputable
I always go to the very same RAM kit. The issue if you mix and match is it wont be plug and play. Also you need to check your motherboard QVL for your RAM to check if they are supported in 2xDIMM slots or 4xDIMM slots. Buying one kit is the best bet and two slots will likely give the highest speeds.

So your motherboard has to support the RAM kit in the number of DIMM slots you are filling.

Now you know its the RAM you can try and install the rest. Both kits have serial numbers, if you can post them we can try and get information about them.

Note the minimum recommanded PSU for the new GPU is 650 watts.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023
Original kit:

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Single 8GB CL15 BLS8G4D30AESBK (Gray)​

Additional kit:

CORSAIR - Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16GB (2PK X 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 C16 DIMM Desktop Memory - Black

zx128k

Reputable
The memory CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 is supported by your motherboard as 4xDIMMs. Chipset Samsung 5WC.

BLS8G4D30AESBK isn't in your motherboard compatibility list formemory. Micron E-die.

Both kits are different chipsets. Try running both kits at the speed of BLS8G4D30AESBK and if it can boot good, if not it likely wont work.