After graphics driver is installed, severe audio and video stuttering occurs [GTX 1060 | Win 10]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyMJB2

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
Primary Issue:

Everything runs fine until a video driver is installed. Once installed, audio and video stuttering occurs. After uninstalling the video driver, all of the audio problems go away and the window animations are smooth again. The clunky window animations are pretty blatant, but to be sure the problem remains after modify something - I open an application while an mp3 is playing. The audio cutting in and out will usually happen when I do that.

Symptoms:

• ■Audio stuttering, popping
    ■Window animations hang and stutter
    ■Mouse movement has occasional hitching

What I tried that had no effect:

• ■Uninstalled Nvidia audio driver
    ■Updated BIOS
    ■Preformed clean installs of 3 older versions of GeForce drivers - just graphics driver, no additional nvidia drivers/software
    ■Disabled all Audio Enhancements.
    ■Disabled Ethernet adapter.
    ■Changed audio quality settings
    ■Changed the power settings for the GPU to favor performance (NVIDIA Control Panel)
    ■Changed the power settings for the CPU to favor performance (Windows Power Settings)
    ■Swapped out the video card with a PNY 1060 from my other PC.
    ■Installed sound blaster sound card

What I did that provided a temporary fix:

Reinstalled windows, downloaded the MSI Live Update 6 Utility, used it to install all available drivers listed for my motherboard, rebooted, uninstalled the video drivers that windows auto installed, downloaded and did a clean install of just the graphics driver, rebooted.

I was then able to play music, open the browser and play a 4k video in fullscreen on YouTube simultaneously without a single hitch.

At some point over the next 12 hours, the problems came back. In this time I installed various programs. I verified the system was fine after every install, for the first few. Then I had the audacity to install the rests of my applications without verifying. I’m not sure when the problems returned.

I attempted to recreate my earlier success by doing these same steps again. It didn't work.

Notes:

• ■CPU, RAM, etc never exceed ~10% usage when the hitching occurs
    ■Moving the mouse aggressively can occasionally cause hitching
    ■Hitching occurs when a program is opened or closed, about 80% of the time
    ■Playing a 4K video in MS Edge locked up the entire system
    ■Even with a completely clean install of windows, the problems begin as soon as a video driver is installed
    ■No overclocking; everything is stock/default
    ■I removed the sound card after I saw it had no positive effect
    ■I have speakers plugged in via USB and headphones plugged into the front jack. Audio issues are the same, regardless.
    ■I attempted to install windows 7 to see if 10 was doing something stupid. I couldn't get the mouse and keyboard to work during the installation and was a bit too frustrated with the machine to pursue that any further.

I also ran LatencyMon. These are the results:

• ■Driver installed, playing music: link
    ■Driver installed, playing music while opening and closing various applications: link
    ■Report after the previous two tests were completed: link
    ■No Driver Installed, playing music, while opening and closing various applications: link
    ■In Depth Latency Test – Playing music while opening and closing various applications, with the driver installed: link

System Details:

• ■Custom build, 6 days old
    ■Windows 10 x64
    ■AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 8-Core 3.4 GHz
    ■GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 6GB [no SLI]
    ■CORSAIR 750W 80 PLUS GOLD
    ■MSI B350 PC MATE AM4 AMD B350
    ■SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA III
    ■G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4

I'm at a complete loss at this point. I'm considering returning the motherboard for another and hoping for the best. I just wish I could at least get some confidence with regard to who or what is actually at fault here.

Thanks for taking the time to read through all of this.

evyosh

Honorable
Sep 11, 2015
by the way try uninstalling the drivers with www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and try this driver version 382.05 - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/118514/en-us?ClickID=cnqvnwiz4aefiqwlvivaaizeqs44aekpensn

this is clearly to do something with the drivers tho im pretty sure. some of the Nvidia Drivers updates were so shitty caused a lot of problems with peoples. you clearly mentioned everything works fine until you install the nvidia Drivers so clearly there is a driver conflict.

JimmyMJB2

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Although I've already done clean installs of various compatible versions. I probably should have mentioned that I used the driver uninstaller. Any particular reason you suggested the driver version that you did? I did try it, and it unfortunately did nothing different than the previous drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.