Question After I changed the thermal pads and thermal paste on the GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti GAMING OC 8G (rev. 2.0) I reach the hot spot 105 degrees

Mar 12, 2023
Please excuse my English!
Good evening, my video card had started to have high temperatures, namely 75-80 degrees, when it was bought it did not exceed 65 degrees!
I decided to change the thermal paste and the thermal pads on the video card and then I encountered problems with the temperatures, the hot spot reaches 105 degrees and the temperature is still 75-80!
As thermal conductive paste I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and thermal pads Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 - 8W/mK 1.0mm.
The original thermal pads had a fluffy (soft) texture
please tell me which thermoconductive paste and which thermal pads to use to reach the factory temperatures again!
Thank you

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I decided to change the thermal paste and the thermal pads
These processes shouldn't be done at the same time. Paste should take priority. If the original pads are badly torn during the disassembly process, THEN change them.

please tell me which thermoconductive paste and which thermal pads to use to reach the factory temperatures again!
You should be fine on the paste, but you're now stuck in the pit of trying different pads. Few folks actually mess with pads, so you may only get crickets after this post.
Pad hardness is what usually gives those doing a pad change a bad experience.
IF you measured the original pads and the new ones are the same thickness, then what likely happened here is that the new pads are too hard; a larger gap between core and hot spot is a telltale symptom of such.
IF you didn't measure... well, the new pads may be too thick/hard.

When the pads have too much give, it yields worse vram thermals, as their isn't firm contact between the memory and heatsink.
When the pads don't have enough give, it yields worse gpu core thermals, as the die to cooler cold plate contact is warped - or worse, can crack the PCB.

There's a relationship between pad hardness and W/mK that should help with the next selection of pads: Harder pads have higher W/mK ratings.
I can't recommend any - never had to mess with it.

Mar 12, 2023
Thank you very much for the answer, I think the problem is the hardness of the thermal pads, the ones I installed were the same thickness but very hard compared to the ones from the factory!
I did a test last night, I put a dot of Arctic mx4 thermal paste on each memory to see if the temperatures return, and surprise the temperature in games does not exceed 65 degrees and the hot spot does not exceed 77 degrees!
Now I ask you if I can stay with the thermal paste on the memories or put appropriate thermal pads?

Thank you very much for the answer, I think the problem is the hardness of the thermal pads, the ones I installed were the same thickness but very hard compared to the ones from the factory!
I did a test last night, I put a dot of Arctic mx4 thermal paste on each memory to see if the temperatures return, and surprise the temperature in games does not exceed 65 degrees and the hot spot does not exceed 77 degrees!
Now I ask you if I can stay with the thermal paste on the memories or put appropriate thermal pads?
its not impossible to use paste on rams, but there is low mounting pressure, so paste will drift away after some time

Reactions: CatalinPopescu

zx128k

Reputable

Wrong size of thermal pats can impact the connection between the die and the heat sink. Contact might not be good. Also you need to make sure the screws are tightened correctly. The pressure is the same on all four. Thermal paste should cover all of the die, not one part of the die shouldn't be covered.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatalinPopescu