[SOLVED] After I cloned my Win'10 boot drive to new M.2, now the old ssd and 1 other HDD are not being recognized at all. Please help!

jagermain

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
I'll try to make this brief and to the point. I cloned my OS from a 120 gig SSD to a newer faster 240gig M.2 as my new boot drive and changed the setting properly in the bios to recognize the M.2 port. The computer loaded up from the new M.2 but now one of my 1TB HDD and the original 120gig SSD are like nowhere to be found. What do I do?

Solution
With your M.2 drive in the M2_D port, you can only use SATA ports 4 and 5.

99nP0AM.png

USAFRet

Titan
I'll try to make this brief and to the point. I cloned my OS from a 120 gig SSD to a newer faster 240gig M.2 as my new boot drive and changed the setting properly in the bios to recognize the M.2 port. The computer loaded up from the new M.2 but now one of my 1TB HDD and the original 120gig SSD are like nowhere to be found. What do I do?
What specific motherboard?
What specific M.2 drive?

Also, a screencap of your Disk Management window.

jagermain

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
GIGABYTE Z170X-GAMING 7 v1.1
KINGSTON 250GB A2000 M.2 2280 Nvme PCIe

the disk management never loaded it just kept saying connecting to virtual disk service
P.S. at second lookthrough tho, I realized the only drives I'm reading are the m.2 boot drive, and any subs plugged in including a 500gb I have plugged into an external had hub. i did go into bios though and the machine sees that the 1TB and another 500GB are connected to data but they don't come up under any load orders or anything it just recognizes that those specific drives are connected but only in bios.

USAFRet

Titan
You need to look in your user manual for specific conflicts between the M.2 port and SATA ports.

"* Refer to "1-10 Internal Connectors," for the supported configurations with the M.2, SATA Express, and SATA connectors. "

One or more SATA ports is disabled.

Also, at the end of the cloning process, did you verufy the system boots from ONLY the new drive.
As in...Power off, physically disconnect all other drives (incl USB things), and power up.
Does it boot correctly?

jagermain

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
You need to look in your user manual for specific conflicts between the M.2 port and SATA ports.

"* Refer to "1-10 Internal Connectors," for the supported configurations with the M.2, SATA Express, and SATA connectors. "

Also, at the end of the cloning process, did you verufy the system boots from ONLY the new drive.
As in...Power off, physically disconnect all other drives (incl USB things), and power up.
Does it boot correctly?
Just on the last topic, I guess I didn't verify specifically, but I did change the bios just as the instructions told me. The old boot drive was disconnected but just tonight I've turned it off like 3 times already to switch around the 3 cables i need, 1 to a 1TB HDD, 1 to the 120 gig old SSD boot drive, and 1 to a 500GB HDD and it still wont recognize them when i get into windows and open up my computer still nothing there but the m.2 and usbs. The BIOS though did show it was seeing the drives there but they would be gone once windows loads. I ve dug through the manual in all the parts about the ports and m.2 and anything further than this is where i come to your expertise

jagermain

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013

Does it boot correctly?
oh just read the question does it boot correctly, the answer is yes i mean I've actual;ly just been using it for a month like this now bc i just said screw it i mean I'm not a PC wiz i can build one but i don't know what UEFI means and in regards to that or Legacy option in the BIOS. Hmnm am I maybe supposed to switch what i have on Legacy right now to maybe just off instead of UEFI? that's something i haven't done.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. Don't bump, please. It's only been a few hours
  2. You NEED to physically disconnect the old drives. Not just change the BIOS. This needed to be the first thing you did at the end of the clone process. Do that now.
  3. In Section 1_10, what does it say about your combination of drives and ports?

jagermain

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
I have already disconnected the drives, and gone back and swapped them into different data ports. I've looked at those pages already but will you look at page 32 please its 10th item under section 1_10 and i think our answer is in that but i cant make sense of it

jagermain

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
oh wow, i just looked and realized I'm not v1.1 i have v1.0 and I've been doing things by the v1.1 way for like over a year now lol. i don't know what this changes but ill look into it now.

USAFRet

Titan
ok these 2 different reports claim different data ports. one guy says it disables.. well just read this the last post the most but its a quick glance at most https://superuser.com/questions/1075793/ga-z170x-gaming-7-or-ga-z170x-gaming-g1-2x-m-2-nvme-sata
For the chosen answer there, the cart he displayed is for RAID more.
On pg 32, there are two different sections. 1 for AHCI and 1 for RAID.
Different things happen.

In any case, 4 or 5 SATA ports are disabled.

jagermain

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
For the chosen answer there, the cart he displayed is for RAID more.
On pg 32, there are two different sections. 1 for AHCI and 1 for RAID.
Different things happen.

In any case, 4 or 5 SATA ports are disabled.

i cant figure it out man its baffling me i mean it just seems like maybe this mb was right when things were getting popular for M.2 so its totally fine im not maulding or anything and just for reference would it change anything if i got one of those pci express adapters and tried it that way? regardless good sir you are a true gentleman and a hero thank you for continuing to put up with all that crap with me i truly appreciate it! :D