[SOLVED] After I upgraded BIOS to use new CPU, computer doesn't turn on ?

Aug 16, 2021
I bought AMD ryzen 5 5600x and Gigabyte Aorus Elite V2, then i just upgraded the BIOS from version F1 to F61 using AMD ryzen 3 3300x. Everything was running fine on this CPU but when i just replaced the CPU with new 5600x, the computer doesn't show anything on the screen. The lights on the mobo do not shine, i see only red LED on CPU and running fans. Is that possible that they delivered faulty CPU to me? Any idea where the problem lies?

Solution
I still got a problem, bought new RAM's and it worked only once time (one run), I borrowed RAM's from the friend and these RAM's also worked only one time. I reset CMOS many times and it didnt help. What can I do?

Yesterday the computer didn't want to turn on, trying like 5 times and nothing happened. I woke up in the morning, didn't change anything, and the computer turned on. Probably if i shut down PC, it will not run again. What causes this problem?

Did you short the 2 pins on mobo? Rest a screwdriver on them, easiest way to reset CMOS.
Since the RAM only works once, do you go into BIOS to change anything about it? 2133 Mhz (default) should work every time. Do you check your temps while in BIOS? That is recommended. That...
Aug 16, 2021
As I recall on my b350 board from asrock, before you could load the latest bios you had to load a bridge bios. I don’t know if that’s the case on yours but it’s worth checking. It seems like you had to do a series of flashes before it worked.
I don't understand what do you mean. Could you explain me more details?

So on my board, my board is a b350 chipset. I started with a ryzen 1000 series cpu. I had a ryzen 1600, later a 1700x.

After that when the 3000 series cpus came out, I bought a ryzen 5 3600. On the b350 boards 3000 series is as high as you can go, but I had to update the bios.

In the case of my Asrock board, you weren’t supposed to just flash the latest bios. They had a process where if you had below a certain bios version, you had to upgrade to one particular version known as a bridge bios before you actually could flash to the later bios versions, and they wanted you to install some drivers at that time also.

After that you could update to the later bios versions and swap your cpu. It’s been a year or two since I did this so I may not remember everything, but it was basically you had to update the bios, on my board at least, 2 or 3 times before it supported the newer cpu.

Aug 16, 2021
I still got a problem, bought new RAM's and it worked only once time (one run), I borrowed RAM's from the friend and these RAM's also worked only one time. I reset CMOS many times and it didnt help. What can I do?

Yesterday the computer didn't want to turn on, trying like 5 times and nothing happened. I woke up in the morning, didn't change anything, and the computer turned on. Probably if i shut down PC, it will not run again. What causes this problem?

Last edited:

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

Did you short the 2 pins on mobo? Rest a screwdriver on them, easiest way to reset CMOS.
Since the RAM only works once, do you go into BIOS to change anything about it? 2133 Mhz (default) should work every time. Do you check your temps while in BIOS? That is recommended. That will tell you if CPU heatsink for example is fitted correctly. If heatsink is too tight, it can lead to memory issues. If it's too loose, temperature issues.
Hows the CPU paste? I hope you didn't get it anywhere else than top of CPU. If you got some on CPU pins, that would be a problem and you get weird issues. Does your mobo have troubleshooting LEDs?

Reactions: Vineet is genius
Solution
Aug 16, 2021
Since the RAM only works once, do you go into BIOS to change anything about it? 2133 Mhz (default) should work every time. Do you check your temps while in BIOS? That is recommended. That will tell you if CPU heatsink for example is fitted correctly. If heatsink is too tight, it can lead to memory issues. If it's too loose, temperature issues.
Hows the CPU paste? I hope you didn't get it anywhere else than top of CPU. If you got some on CPU pins, that would be a problem and you get weird issues. Does your mobo have troubleshooting LEDs?
I turned off the computer, unplugged power cable and short 2 pins by using screwdriver many times. It did completely nothing. Temps in the BIOS ~ 30°, I also did 10 min CPU stress test and the highest temperature was 60°. CPU paste is fine and there is no paste on the pins. MOBO has 4 LEDs and I always see CPU LED while computer doesn't want to turn on and mobo doesn't shine then. I did only Load Optimized Defaults in the BIOS, didnt change memory options.

Temperature
Memory

Last edited:
Im still confused if you are saying you can get your pc to post or not? (because you said 'it doesnt want to turn on' but then you said 'i also did 10 min cpu stress test'.) If you are able to get it to run, can you run userbenchmark and copy and paste the link to your result please?

Aug 16, 2021
Im still confused if you are saying you can get your pc to post or not? (because you said 'it doesnt want to turn on' but then you said 'i also did 10 min cpu stress test'.) If you are able to get it to run, can you run userbenchmark and copy and paste the link to your result please?
I got 5 sticks of RAM(2x2133, 1x3000, 2x3200). I used 2x3200 RAM and it turned on the computer only once. When I just wanted turn again the computer, I got the CPU LED on the mobo and the computer didn't want to turn on. Tried many times and still it didnt want to show something on the screen, didnt shine the MOBO, just saw CPU LED. So I tried to use other RAM's and I used 1x3000. The computer worked fine and when I turned off the computer and turned on again I got also CPU led on the mobo and computer didn't want to run. Next day I woke up and turned on PC and it worked fine. I think it's something wrong with BIOS. It just randomly works.

benchmark

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021
It's really weird, the PC turns on randomly. One time cannot run PC and there is CPU LED, no RGB logo on mobo (no beeps from buzzer). One time the computer turns on normally (first short beep, 2-3s break, second short beep). When the computer turns on, it has always 00:00 time. Does it mean the BIOS doesn't save config that's why got a problem to turn on the computer?