After installing 1050 ti into working computer, won't start

eurins

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Hi there,

I am stuck on a problem with my computer. I had previously RMA'd for another 1050 ti because installing it resulted in the computer not starting. There was no response from the computer when I pressed the power button. I made sure everything was attached to the right place. Then I tried starting the computer with onboard graphics after detaching the graphics card, but nothing happened. The paper clip test worked for the psu. I also tried the cmos reset and the same thing still happened.

After, I sent in a RMA for the card and got a replacement motherboard. The computer was working fine with the replacement with onboard graphics. When I got my RMAd card, I installed it and had the same problem again. No response from the computer. I tried a cmos reset, plugging cables back in again, and reseating. Nothing happened either way, and now I can't start the computer with onboard graphics. I don't know how this can happen two times, and I'm at a loss to resolving this. I'm sure that the psu is working. This is my first build, so I'm a noob at this. Thanks for your help!

Here's my build:
I5 7500, Asus prime b250m, corsair vengeance 2400mHz, seasonic 520w, evga 1050 ti

Solution
I had an old motherboard I was trying for the first time. It was a spare. It ran fine with a GTX750Ti so I wanted to try the Zotac GTX1050Ti Mini I had and I got the same thing. Dead PCI slot. This one had no onboard GPU to play with. It was a very old board, and I had no history with it, so maybe just bad luck. But it has happened. The card is running just fine in an old Optiplex 380 right now.
You need to remove the onboard GPU drivers. Boot into Safe Mode,(F8) and remove the Video device drivers in system hardware. Turn off the comouter, and install the new GPU. Boot into Safr Mode with Internet and download load the new drivers. All GPUs support Safe Mode. You wouldn't be the first person to forget to move the monitor cable to the video card from the MB header. Your new MB is probably UEFI. if the GPU has a Legacy BIOS you will have to change some settings in BIOS. if you have a UEFI card, and UEFI MB then they should just work together. Ask your GPU tech support about this. 1050Ti come both ways. vendors seem to be clueless about this.

eurins

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017

The psu is working fine, I tried the paper clip test again and my computer was running fine before installing the 1050ti. I was using onboard graphics then.

eurins

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017

I tried resetting the BIOS this morning and nothing happened. Could the motherboard or the graphics card be faulty?

I had an old motherboard I was trying for the first time. It was a spare. It ran fine with a GTX750Ti so I wanted to try the Zotac GTX1050Ti Mini I had and I got the same thing. Dead PCI slot. This one had no onboard GPU to play with. It was a very old board, and I had no history with it, so maybe just bad luck. But it has happened. The card is running just fine in an old Optiplex 380 right now.

Solution