[SOLVED] After installing 2nd HDD windows 7 stuck at starting windows

Jul 11, 2020
I recently installed windows on my old HDD on my old HCl me xite 38 . I then bought a 2nd HDD caddy and a hard drive WB3200BUDT and installed it . After booting up the laptop it is stuck at starting windows screen no logo appears .
I can boot into BIOS and there I can see both the drives .

Solution
If iam not able to boot into windows with both the drives connected how will i diagnose both the drives . If i press F8 while choosing the operatng system there i can find a repair my pc option after clicking on it , it says loading windows files and hangs .
My laptop was manufactured in 2010 . Can it be that it dose not supports newer hard ware ?
No, all SATA drives are forward and backward compatible.

Was the WD Black ever used on any other build, Windows or otherwise?

If the WD Black is under warranty I would RMA it and get a replacement if the external caddy works with other drives. It seems apparent that the Black is the issue since if the caddy works with other drives.

RealBeast

Titan
I recently installed windows on my old HDD on my old HCl me xite 38 . I then bought a 2nd HDD caddy and a hard drive WB3200BUDT and installed it . After booting up the laptop it is stuck at starting windows screen no logo appears .
I can boot into BIOS and there I can see both the drives .
With only the primary hard drive attached can you start Windows? If not, what do you get, a screen that says cannot find boot disk?

Jul 11, 2020
With only the primary hard drive attached can you start Windows? If not, what do you get, a screen that says cannot find boot disk?
Yes with the primary hard drive I can boot normally into windows just like any normal laptop .
The second HDD is a WD black and my primary HDD is blue just in case if that would help.
Do I need to install any driver software ?
I also have an external HDD a Seagate free agent go I took out the hard drive from it and tried with it also and it caused the same error .
But if I remove my primary HDD and use the other WD drive for windows it installs very slowly and is unable to complete the installation even in 24 hours left running but on the seagate drive windows installs perfectly and runs smoothly.

RealBeast

Titan
The WD Black drive should be faster than the Blue. I would run the WD data lifeguard diagnostic on both drives from HERE to see if either drive has issues. I suspect that the WD Black may have issues.

You should not need any drivers for HDDs beyond what Windows installs.

Jul 11, 2020
The WD Black drive should be faster than the Blue. I would run the WD data lifeguard diagnostic on both drives from HERE to see if either drive has issues. I suspect that the WD Black may have issues.

You should not need any drivers for HDDs beyond what Windows installs.
If iam not able to boot into windows with both the drives connected how will i diagnose both the drives . If i press F8 while choosing the operatng system there i can find a repair my pc option after clicking on it , it says loading windows files and hangs .
My laptop was manufactured in 2010 . Can it be that it dose not supports newer hard ware ?

Jul 11, 2020
Did the old drive also have a WIndows 7 installation on it? Is it possible it's simply trying to boot from it, and failing?
Obviously my old drive is the primary drive(WD Blue ) and i have windows 7 ultimate 32 bit installed on it . I am able to boot from it . But when i connect the 2nd HDD it hangs at the starting windows screen . And when i remove my primary disk and connect the WD Black disk and try to install windows on it , it takes very long and it does not finishes .

RealBeast

Titan
No, all SATA drives are forward and backward compatible.

Was the WD Black ever used on any other build, Windows or otherwise?

If the WD Black is under warranty I would RMA it and get a replacement if the external caddy works with other drives. It seems apparent that the Black is the issue since if the caddy works with other drives.

Solution