[SOLVED] After installing a 5700xt, I am getting low FPS in some games and a lot of stutter

Apr 16, 2020
I currently have a Gigabyte 5700xt and a 2600x CPu, and I booted with my new GPU yesterday after having a RX 580 for around a year. The first thing I did was decide to benchmark a few games, and the stuttering was just awful. I got around only 120 fps in a CS Comp match, and while testing AC: Origins my fps constantly was dipping from 70 to 0 and back to 70 again. during the entire benchmark. Are there any suggestions? could it be my Corsair 550W PSU that is limiting me? It said it recommended a 700, minimum 600W PSU, but I read that a 550 would be more than enough. Also if it helps, my CPU went from only a few percent usage on start to very high, same with the amount of power consumption for applications.

Solution
That CPU shouldn't bottleneck you too much. It might lower your FPS a couple compared to a 3700 but not a big deal. Imagine 110fps vs 120fps......you won't notice a difference.

What are you're overall FPS compared to the RX580 at the same resolution and settings in the same game. Run a game withthe RX580 and again with the 5700XT. The FPS should be noticeably higher with the 5700xt, but you may be getting some actual stuttering which is an issue AMD is aware of. Don't do a benchmark...play the actual game and see for your own eyes how well it plays.

A 500w PSU would run that system. The EVGA power meter suggests a 500W.

There is an issue with stuttering on that card however. It's a driver issue. Get the latest driver from...

gondo

Distinguished
That CPU shouldn't bottleneck you too much. It might lower your FPS a couple compared to a 3700 but not a big deal. Imagine 110fps vs 120fps......you won't notice a difference.

What are you're overall FPS compared to the RX580 at the same resolution and settings in the same game. Run a game withthe RX580 and again with the 5700XT. The FPS should be noticeably higher with the 5700xt, but you may be getting some actual stuttering which is an issue AMD is aware of. Don't do a benchmark...play the actual game and see for your own eyes how well it plays.

There is an issue with stuttering on that card however. It's a driver issue. Get the latest driver from AMD. If that doesn't solve the problem disable enhanced sync, and keep the frame rate under 120. Also are you using Freesync? Also are you using any 3rd party apps for overclocking or adjusting fan speeds? AMD seems to be having issues with 3rd party apps causing stuttering or even setting custom fan curves with your motherboard. MSI afterburner is causing issues. And Enhanced SYnc is causing issues with Assain'c Creed like you mentioned so disable that. But before trying anything, get the latest drivers as AMD has been working on this issue.

Last edited:
Solution

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020

There is an issue with stuttering on that card however. It's a driver issue. Get the latest driver from AMD. If that doesn't solve the problem disable enhanced sync, and keep the frame rate under 120. Also are you using Freesync? Also are you using any 3rd party apps for overclocking or adjusting fan speeds? AMD seems to be having issues with 3rd party apps causing stuttering or even setting custom fan curves with your motherboard. MSI afterburner is causing issues. And Enhanced SYnc is causing issues with Assain'c Creed like you mentioned so disable that. But before trying anything, get the latest drivers as AMD has been working on this issue.
I agree with the driver issue - need to see the memory to make sure. He maybe be sitting at 8GB...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I upgraded my son's computer from an RX580 to an RX 5700. Just to be safe, I took the following steps:
  • Downloaded DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller
  • Downloaded the latest WHQL Adrenalin drivers from AMD.com (Version 20.2.2, dated March 5)
  • Reboot PC to Safe Mode
  • Use DDU to uninstall the drivers, choosing the "uninstall then shut down" option.
  • Removed the RX 580 and installed the RX 5700
  • Booted up the computer
  • Immediately installed the video drivers

Set up Chill to give a desired minimum and maximum frame rate, and my son's been gaming smoothly on it for a couple of weeks now. No issues whatsoever.

I can't speak to issues with AC Odyssey specifically, though, as my son doesn't have that game. My son's CPU is a 2600 non-x.

Apr 16, 2020
I agree with the driver issue - need to see the memory to make sure. He maybe be sitting at 8GB...
I actually do have 16gb of 3000Mhz

I have also gotten all of my drivers, and used DDU in safe mode before installation. And my FPS has improved in quite a bit of games, especially VR games. There is just a few weird exceptions like CS, and even Valorant is hanging a little lower than before. Just kinda odd, especially the heavy stuttering in benchmarks.

gondo

Distinguished
It's software related if your getting actual stuttering and issues in games that's are not cause by below 30fps situations. If y our getting high fps above 60fps and the game is stuttering it's a driver issue or Freesync. Try the options I said and you have not mentioned what refresh rate and Freesync you are using with your monitor.

RainingTacco

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
If you can still return the GPU then return it if you are unhappy with it. I can assure you that any problems you have will persist for months until fixed, and then some other things can broke. In many countries difference of price is not that big between 2070 super and 5700xt, like 20% more expensive at most, but you also get better performance[10%] and stability so it's well worth trade off.