[SOLVED] After installing a new GPU I can run games just fine, but when in desktop mode my computer keeps randomly restarting

Jul 26, 2020
Hello guys, first of all thanks for taking your time and reading this!

Last week, I've replaced my old AMD GPU with a new model, a Gigabyte Nvidia 1660 Super OC. I removed the old drivers before I installed the new GPU. After I placed the new GPU in my system I installed the new drivers, and my pc worked normally. I can play games for hours on ultra settings, no problems there.

However, when I boot my system and are in desktop mode, so say I'm in Google Chrome, my pc sometimes randomly freezes and restarts. I don't get a BSOD, it just restarts. It only happens when in desktop, so my CPU, RAM and GPU are under no stress at all. I do not understand why this happens, I wonder what your take is on this problem.

The PCI-E connections are placed properly and I have a clean cable management. These are my specs:
  • Motherboard: gigabyte b85m hd3
  • CPU: intel i7 4790k
  • GPU: GeForce® GTX 1660 SUPER™ OC 6G
  • PSU: corsair vs650
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB DDR3
Do you guys have any idea what is going on here? I've read about failing PSU and old BIOS firmware causing problems, but I found nothing about games running perfectly but desktop mode failing.

Thank you again for your time, I wonder what you guys can make of this.

Solution

Last week, I've replaced my old AMD GPU with a new model, a Gigabyte Nvidia 1660 Super OC. I removed the old drivers before I installed the new GPU. After I placed the new GPU in my system I installed the new drivers, and my pc worked normally. I can play games for hours on ultra settings, no problems there.

However, when I boot my system and are in desktop mode, so say I'm in Google Chrome, my pc sometimes randomly freezes and restarts. I don't get a BSOD, it just restarts. It only happens when in desktop, so my CPU, RAM and GPU are under no stress at all. I do not understand why this happens, I wonder what your take is on this problem.

The PCI-E connections...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

The PCI-E connections are placed properly and I have a clean cable management. These are my specs:
  • Motherboard: gigabyte b85m hd3
  • CPU: intel i7 4790k
  • GPU: GeForce® GTX 1660 SUPER™ OC 6G
  • PSU: corsair vs650
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB DDR3
Do you guys have any idea what is going on here? I've read about failing PSU and old BIOS firmware causing problems, but I found nothing about games running perfectly but desktop mode failing.

Thank you again for your time, I wonder what you guys can make of this.

Well, while this is sort of the reverse of the kind of symptoms we usually see, I'm still going to suggest to get a better PSU. Corsair makes several good PSU models, the VS, however, is not one of them. It's suitable for maybe an office PC without a video card, but it's not a good idea to use with an add-in video card, even if the wattage is enough.

Solution