After installing graphics card PC won't display

jettstar

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
So while I was installing my graphics card I heard a snap I didn't think much of it and when I went to power on my computer it wouldn't display. I was just wondering what might be broken?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The snap sound you refer to could've just been the little snap clamp that goes on the right hand end of the PCIe connector on the GPU when you put it into the slot.

I mean, unless you were just shoving it in there without any thought as to whether or not you were putting it in the right way then the you shouldn't have broken anything.

As the above user said though, once the GPU is installed, you should be plugging whatever video cable you use to connect to your display directly into the back of the GPU and not the motherboard.

Also, it may depend on how you have things set up in the BIOS.

Go into the BIOS and make sure your display adapter (i.e. the GPU) is enabled.

It's possible that you have a CPU with an on-board GPU as well, and if so, you should disable that in the BIOS settings as it can for some people cause issues with displaying information through the GPU.
Typically this isn't an issue, also, now that I am typing this, in your BIOS you should also make sure that the GPU is not only enabled but set to be the main display adapter.

Does your GPU require external power pins? If so, do you have them properly plugged in? By properly plugged in I mean to say that you should double make sure they are FULLY pushed in all the way.

After having double checked these things, come back to us and let us know if anything worked or not.

Also, please feel free to let us know what hardware you have exactly.

i.e.:
Your exact model of motherboard
Your exact model of GPU (i.e. not just GTX 1050TI but MSI Gaming X GTX 1050TI)
Your exact CPU model
Your exact PSU model

jettstar

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

I tried plugging the HDMI into both the onboard and the graphics card and it won't display. and I can't get into the bios cause it won't display at all. I have also fully pushed in the GPU cable all the way

my specs are:
MB: Vostro 270s (Inspiron 660 as well)
GPU: Asus GTX 1060 3gb
Cpu: I5 3570
PSU: Cougar STE500

jettstar

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

No, I even tried installing my old GPU and that didn't help either. but when I was installing the gtx 1060 I didn't download any drivers or anything (because I had a 1050 and I thought it'd be okay) would this cause the computer to not display?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
no this shouldn't cause an issue.
You say when unplugging and removing the GPU you get no display from the integrated graphics on the CPU?

Try resetting your CMOS, don't put any GPU in the system, take whatever GPU you have in there out completely. Just unplugging the power pins from the GPU doesn't cut it, it has to be unplugged from the PCIe slot as well.

jettstar

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Tried this and it didn't work. is there a possibility my motherboard is broken?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
was your power supply on when you were installing the GPU?
You know, that little power switch on the back of the PSU that you're supposed to flip then press the power button on you system to drain residual energy so that there's not electricity running through your system when you plug in and unplug stuff.

jettstar

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Yes, I just did a normal install of a graphics card.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

Sorry, I just re-read my post. I should specify, your power supply should be off and your system drained of residual energy when changing out any hardware. Was it on or off?

jettstar

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Yes my power supply was off, i just don't understand why it's not working.