After installing new MOBO, RAM, and CPU my GPU stopped working

triple_gemini

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
As the title says, I got new motherboard ram and cpu for my computer since the last motherboard fried up. My new motherboard has an on-board graphics card and that's why I can write this right now. The problem is that whenever I put my old GPU and try to power the pc the screen remains black and it keeps beeping all the time (short beeps) and never stops until I switch it off. Can anyone suggest anything? Whenever I power my pc without my old GPU everything is fine.

The motherboard is a ASRock H81M-HDS and the old GPU is ASUS ATI HD 4890

Thanks in advance

Solution
Duh on my part.

Best odds are that the graphics card is fried. Would you be willing to shell out $$ to a shop to slip it into a PC to test? Or just buy a new card and return it if it doesn't solve the problem?
Try it in another computer that's known to work? However, this involves the effort of uninstalling the GPU drivers on that machine, swapping cards, loading the drivers for your questionable card, seeing if it works, and repeat to put the original card back.

Alternatively, borrow a card from someone's pile of spares (I used to have 3 before I moved house) and see if it works with your build. If it does, I'll give good odds that the old card is toast.

Of course, the card could be good and there could be some other problem. Does it show up at all in the Device Manager?

triple_gemini

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015

Unfortunately I have no one to test my GPU or take a spare from. I cant reach the device manager since the computer does not POST when I put my old GPU

triple_gemini

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015

I think I'm going to ask a technician to do it tho I wanted to know if I could identify myself. Thanks a lot for the advice