After installing new RAM: Chrome runs hell slow, Discord runs hell slow, Games have audio glitches

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
Troubleshooting Help:

What is your parts list?

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/g7bmZR

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

Chrome tabs freeze when changing tabs, and when loading new pages, otherwise works fine. (So if i click on another tab it'll just freeze chrome for like 5-7 seconds then go onto the page, really annoying) Also downloading stuff in chrome is 0.1mb/s (compared to 1.1mb/s)

Discord is running really <<Edited for content>> slow, really laggy, kinda same as chrome where a new server/chat/channel lags heaps. Though it has happened before and i had to reinstall it so idk

As for Ghost recon wildlands, I noticed launching it to test the RAM that the audio cuts out every 3 seconds for like a second then comes back in. Really odd. Not just wildlands, any game, just checked.

Could these be related to the RAM? I ran a benchmark and the RAM is working fine, its been OC'ed to the DDR4-3000 (it is a ddr4-3000 ram stick but it is by default on my motherboard 2400 but yeah overclocked to 3000)

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

Windows updates, restarts, audio driver updates, memtest86, graphic driver update.

Provide any additional details you wish below.
I don't know if it is the RAM problem, all I know it happened after I put the ram in

FAQ:
Are the sticks in the right slot?
Yes they are in 2/4 like the manual states

What XMP profile are you using?
Default one set for the specific ram from my bios

Does your motherboard support the RAM?
Of course

Why are you OCing your RAM?
It only runs at 2400 (by default) if not OC'ed, so its kinda a waste for a 3000mhz RAM, the motherboard supports 3000mhz ram if oc'ed so yeah. I'm not really OCing the RAM I guess, just the z270's board to support it

What voltage is it running at? Not over 1.5v?
No it is only running at 1.35v https://i.imgur.com/TVE4ZqI.png

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017

I don't really want to have to go through the trouble of reinstalling my OS.

And no the computer was off and also the switch off when I was doing this.

__blackha7__

Honorable
Nov 8, 2016

Hello,

- Ensure your Bios is the latest verion, if not - update.
- Reset your Bios to default settings, enable only the XMP profile.
- Run full 4 tests in Memtest86, latest version here: https://www.memtest86.com/

If no errors - it's not your ram.
If there are any errors - try RMA the ram. I doubt the IMC can't run 3000mhz, since this is not a very high frequency at all. Your mobo can run those 3000mhz as well.

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017

1. Yes bios is latest version
2. What would this do? I haven't touched anything else other then turn on the XMP profile so it's already the same? (apart from manually change voltages on the CPU since it was running way too hot, just to restrict it going higher then it should)
3. This is just 1 full test right? Yeah I did for almost 3 hours and 100% pass.

__blackha7__

Honorable
Nov 8, 2016

That means it's not your ram. Better run stock voltage to see if that's the reason for your sluttering, but most probably it is, since heat is the number 1 enemy to hardware, and yes, it can cause lag.

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017

I reset bios back to factory settings (Which wiped my voltage setting) but still the same issue.