After installing Nvidia drivers, computer crashes on starting windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerzel

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Tried to fit as much as possible into that title.
So, I've done my first build here. I've put everything together okay, installed Windows fine, installed all the drivers for my motherboard, and updated Windows, but whenever I install the Nvidia drivers for my video card, my computer then shuts down on the "starting windows" screen after restarting. I then need to go into startup repair and do a system restore to fix it. I have no idea why this is, and I know the card is good because I was using it in my old computer before moving it into this one.

I've tried installing three different versions of drivers from Nvidia's website, the video drivers that came on the disc with my old motherboard, and the drivers from Windows Update, and they've all done the same thing. I've also tried installing with the integrated graphics turned on and off, before and after installing the drivers for them, to no avail. I've reinstalled Windows once throughout this, but that didn't help either. At this point I don't know what else to try.

My components are:
Gigabyte Z77-D3H motherboard (this is my first mobo with integrated graphics, so if there are issues from that I don't know how to resolve them)
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Intel i7 3770
Corsair AX760 PSU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM (2x4GB; I know this was a mistake and plan to fix it)
My case is an Obsidian 650D
My HDD is a Hitachi Ultrastar A7K3000 2TB 7200RPM Enterprise
And I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

I've probably forgotten something, so just ask and I'll give more information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dcman3000

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Did you remove the drivers you installed for the motherboard? I had this same issue when trying to use my XFX ATI Radeon card switched over from my old Dell XPS tower. I had to scrub the native Nvidia drivers, reload the ATI drivers for my GPU and then the card worked. If that doesn't work, I'n not sure what the issue may be.

Cerzel

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Well, the strange thing there is that it didn't automatically install drivers. At least, not like my previous computer did anyway. The card is marked in device manager as just "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" (I think, going by memory here so I can check this if need be), rather than any basic drivers identifying it as Nvidia.
I did still try uninstalling these, and also clearing out traces of drivers with Driver Sweeper, but the problem remained.
Driver Sweeper did turn up Nvidia items in the check though, and I imagine those shouldn't have been there as a remnant from trying to install the drivers, as I had to do a system restore after every attempt at that. So I guess something is going on, but hell if I can figure out what.

Cerzel

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
To bump and update this thread: I've tried switching out the PSU for the one in my old computer, but it had the exact same problem. (The other PSU is a GW-760SEL.)
I'm back to having no idea what the issue could be, but it can't be the PSU or the GPU now.

MarkBk

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
I am not a pc expert, but I am also experiencing problem since this week after an update from Nvidia. PC crashes suddenly (especially if I am working in internet-using IE), and serious problems with starting up my pc. I do also use Win7.
Crash does look like a lot of coloured horizontal stripes, or white/black fields. It is changing colors/pattern during the crash or startup.
System restore does not help. And if it helps, it is only for a short while: next time I start the pc the problem is back again.
By the way, working in a program like Word does not give a crash-it seems escpecially to occur when trying to connect with internet.

hiddentrooper98

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
I was having the same scren problems with the lines and frequent blue screens on startup, multiple forced restarts With the new nvidia driver 327.23, I used geforce experience to install a clean install I have the nvidia driver 320.49 currently instaled. After the install I had both driver in my nividia folder, so I went to device manager to check my current driver and it was still 320.49 so I just moved the 320.49 file out and had device manager update my display driver directly from the 327.23 folder I left and now my current driver is 327.23 so I do believe that when u download the new drivers I dosent remove the one currently there I'm hopeing moving the old driver to a new desktop folder won't interfere with the installed driver in my nividia folder but my display seems to be holding up now hope this helps any1 with future nvidia driver problems

BuckBuck70

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
don't have a solution but having a similar problem. Have tried multiple NVidia drivers, and the video card stops sending signal to the monitor on boot up. I see the windows login and then the screen goes black and the monitor says no video input. The video card works and I can boot into windows when I uninstall the NVidia drivers. At first thought it was a driver conflict, but I had a gtx 650 running in the system for 3 weeks before I got my gtx 460 back from gigagbyte, they were repairing the fan. Immeditatly after I installed my old 460 the computer froze and then I contacting gigabyte tomorrow.

Tullo

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Hello,

I had the same problem, after re-instaling Win7 64-bit and trying instal graphic card, windows stop on black screen with windows logo. I tried many possibilities, written here and on internet, but nothing worked.
I solved it with instal Driver fusion, removed graphic driver and restart windows. Then I instaled driver for Vista x64 and problem was gone.

My configuration:
Acer 5920G
Dual Core T7500
GeForce 8600M GS

Matt Wyson

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

I had the same prob. Read this: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/nvidia-freezes.html

Status
Not open for further replies.