Question after installing secondhand gpu my monitor shows no display

May 7, 2023
hi guys, having some problems with my gpu showing no display, tried many things like reseating it, used my old gpu (works fine), resetting the cmos by removing it, plugged the hdmi to the igpu (works fine), in device adapters the rx560 shows working properly.
i am using the sata to 6 pin cable connector for the gpu

specs:
generic 700w psu
ddr4 2x8gb
intel i5-9400
gt710 (old gpu) > sapphire rx560 4gb (fans are working but, no display)

another question, about eatx12v do i need to put the 8 pins or just 4 pins is fine?

i dont know if its the psu or the gpu who is faulty

Hey there,

Well, there could be a couple of things going on.

1. The GPU is faulty.
2. The power supply is so bad it's tripping an overprotection, and not booting with the GPU being more power hungry than your original one. W need to know more about it. There should be a sticker on the side of it. Post a photo of it here.

Second hand GPU's are a real minefield. You just don't know what it has been up to in it;s life span.

Did you test before buying? What did the seller say? I'd try and get a return on it.

Two things I will never buy second hand: GPU/PSU. Everything else, maybe.

May 7, 2023
Hey there,

Well, there could be a couple of things going on.

1. The GPU is faulty.
2. The power supply is so bad it's tripping an overprotection, and not booting with the GPU being more power hungry than your original one. W need to know more about it. There should be a sticker on the side of it. Post a photo of it here.

Second hand GPU's are a real minefield. You just don't know what it has been up to in it;s life span.

Did you test before buying? What did the seller say? I'd try and get a return on it.

Two things I will never buy second hand: GPU/PSU. Everything else, maybe.
View: https://imgur.com/a/lHz0qeY

keeping that in mind.

May 7, 2023
i think my monitor is the problem, i went to my friends house then tried to use his monitor with my pc, it shows the display .

does vga to hdmi works? because my monitor has only vga.

my monitor is aoc model E970SWNL

(psu pic) View: https://imgur.com/a/lHz0qeY

motherboard: ASUS EX-B365M-V5

thanks...
That is only a 300w PSU if we are looking at the 12 volt rail. Probably a cheap group regulated PSU. How old is it? Regardless of the age I would get a decent new PSU just for some assurance the old PSU wont blow up the rest of the PC. Your situation is hard to diagnose because it could be 1 of 2 things. Either the PSU cannot handle the extra load the GPU is asking for, or the GPU is dead. Have you tried using the iGPU from the CPU while the GPU is plugged in? Does it at least get to BIOS?

Reactions: yuyung2000