[SOLVED] After installing SSD into M.2 slot, pc won't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2022
I got a Samsung 970 Evo Plus today and found that when it's plugged into the M.2 slot on my motherboard, the system won't boot properly. My PC draws power but it doesn't boot to windows or BIOS, only when the drive is in place. I can't initialize, format or partition the drive because of this. So far for troubleshooting I've tried:
  • Setting the launch priority in BIOS to my HDD with windows installed while SSD is plugged in
  • Removing all other drives so that the SSD is the only volume plugged in
  • Turning off CSM
  • power cycling. a lot.
At this point I'm not sure if I should convert my windows install drive to something UEFI compatible to see if that changes anything, test the drive on a different PC (which is slightly difficult) or try returning it if it's a dud.

Sep 1, 2022
I'm running with a Ryzen 5 1600, I'll start updating BIOS tomorrow
So I tried updating the BIOS a few times and reached 6.0, which has a recommendation to not update if you're using a Summit CPU. Makes me hesitant on updating any further, also because each BIOS update didn't appear to resolve the problem.

Sep 1, 2022
Okay so the solution to this was weirdly simple. The M.2 slot wasn't working because I had my GPU in the lower slot of the motherboard. After swapping it to the upper slot the pc can now boot and recognise the SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.