After Installing Windows 8.1 on New Build

SharmaDTS

Honorable
May 25, 2015
Guys I just want to know after installing Windows 8.1 do I need to register or something like that to microsoft or nothing is needed and I can run Windows normally?
please help

Solution

No that's the one. Right click on "My PC" select "properties" this should bring up a window, at the bottom it should say "windows is activated".

SharmaDTS

Honorable
May 25, 2015

I entered Windows Key at the time of installation any other key you are talking about?
My Windows 8.1 came with two disc 32/64 and a Key it is genuine as far as I know

Windows 8 communicates with Microsoft server as soon as it has an internet connection. Activation is automatic. Until that activation occurs, there's some tell tale signs that it hasn't been activated yet. One of the more obvious ways is trying to change your user account's picture. It simply won't allow it until activation occurs.

USAFRet

Titan

During the install, on the screen where you entered the license key, there was a checkbox for :"Activate online"

As long as that was checked, when you connect to the internet, it should activate.

You can check the activation status thusly:
Open File Explorer
Right click on 'This PC', select Properties
It will say down at the bottom of that Windows whether it is activated or not.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

No that's the one. Right click on "My PC" select "properties" this should bring up a window, at the bottom it should say "windows is activated".

Solution

rgd1101

Don't

If the key is valid then you are fine. But if you bought it from some dodgy site, they might said it not genuine later

SharmaDTS

Honorable
May 25, 2015
Actually the problem is I completed all of the updates and now when I check in update history some updates are showing status as FAILED
When I check for updates it is showing Up To Date!
I don't know how to install those failed updates
I even restarted the computer several times

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I wouldn't worry about the failed updates if everything is working correctly.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes. Just Shut down, and restart it.
See what happens.

SharmaDTS

Honorable
May 25, 2015
@USAFRet I am worried about clean boot!
If I boot my PC after one clean boot then will it boot normally?
Have you performed a clean boot ever?

@rgd1101 yah I am checking since 2 hours even restarted several times but still many of them are showing status as FAILED

USAFRet

Titan

Well, this all depends on what the person meant by 'clean boot'.
To me, that is simply off, then back on. If they meant something different, I have no idea what that may be.

So you installed the OS, and immediately started all the upgrades. Eventually it stopped, showing some had failed.

Reboot the system and try again. See what happens.

SharmaDTS

Honorable
May 25, 2015
I told many times that I restarted the computer several times, still they are showing status Failed and when I check for updates it is showing Up To Date! Now not able to find a way to install them!
Is there any harm if they are not able to install ?
Should I leave this OR should I again install windows and then complete all the updates?