after joining XP on NT4 domain

Hi !
I need to join windows xp pro workstations to a windows nt4 domain,
and I can do that by installing netbeui on xp clients and adding a wins entry on them too.
After I log in to to nt4 domain, the "All programs" option in the start menu doesn't
open. I believe this has something to do with joinning to an older domain.
Why does this happens, and what can I do to enable the "All programs" again in
th xp workstations ?
Thank you very much.
Any help apreciated.
Best regards,
David

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have never had much luck with NetBUI... I use TCP/IP,
and have everything statically addressed on my network -
NT4 domain, all servers at SP6a.
I have had pretty good luck using KIXscript for multiple
users that share workstations, so I do not have to set
each one up individually on the omputers.
This process has worked well on my domain for both Win2K
Pro and WinXP Pro clients.

Dave

Hi !
Using netbeui or not has nothing to do with it. I have to join the XP clients to the NT4 domain,
and after that my problem comes up. the Start-> All programs doesn't show all programs installed like
it used to do.
Any ideas to work it out ?
thanks

I would make sure that the users of the domain are added
to the XP machine's local users group.

Hi !
That doesn't work either. After you join a XP pro to a nt4 domain, the domain\users is automatically
a member of the local machine groups. The problem is that even if I log in with a local account, the
"all programs" doesn't open anymore.
Thanks anyway.
David

Hi David,

Have you tried logging on to the machine with either
a local "administrator" account or a "domain admin"
account? If the programs show up then it is a
permissions issue.

"david carvalho" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi !
> That doesn't work either. After you join a XP pro to a nt4 domain, the
domain\users is automatically
> a member of the local machine groups. The problem is that even if I
log in with a local account, the
> "all programs" doesn't open anymore.
> Thanks anyway.
> David

James

Do you need netbeui running? You should be able to use
TCP/IP and still join the domain. Also, if you have more
then 10 users with netbeui the excess traffic will slow
down your network considerably.

James