After Market VGA Cooler How to Not Void the Warranty

malstrom

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
is there Any way of not Voiding your Warranty With a After Market VGA Cooler?

i have a VisionTek 4850 and want to reduce the heat Plus Noise i know its fine and suppose to get hot it stays at the right Temp level i just want it cooler and less noisy...

is there something that is impossible to put back on your Video Card after Removing the old heat sink
or some kind of notification that they will see if you have to send it to the company for RMA if it gos Bad?

if any one happens to know i would be very thankful for your time

and if its not to much whats the Best New Heat sink to slap on that baby?

First off I would contact VisionTek and have them answer that question, I know it is not an issue with XFX and BFG.....all other vendors are kinda sketchy as to what can/cannot be done with a video card....

Personally i dont know. This kind of question comes up every once in a while. Some companies EVGA is one i think that are quite happy for you to swap out the cooling system and OC the card. Others will say it voids the warranty, thing is like you are wondering, how are they going to know. As long as you replace the old cooling arangement if you need to send it back and the changes you made didnt mean you had to physically alter the card then i cant see the problem, and cant see how they could tell.

Mactronix

I checked with a link i had when we did this last and EVGA say as long as there is no physical damage to the card you can change the cooler, as long as its returned with tehstock cooler its all good.

Mactronix

malstrom

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Darn, Well i guess ill give these guys a Call never have used VisionTek before, its a great card by the way Just dont like the heat its giving off plus My pc already brings my Room Temp up and it is Hot here so my Room is the hottest in the house i was thinking of going Water Cooled

Oh! dose any 1 know if you can put Oil in water cooling Devices? like Veggie oil i don't think car oil would be a good choice... just carious..

Thanks for the info Any way Bless ya all

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

They can tell Because the thermal compound they use. If you have ever taken apart a gpu heat sink it is apparent if it has been done before on that card or not.

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Unless you manage to dump the heat outside or into another room, your room temperature will be the same regardless of whether you use the stock heatsink or an after market one.

malstrom

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Ok i got a hold of the AMD tech support but could not get a hold of VisionTek im going to drop them a Email
the Tech guy said it would probly be ok as long as the new heat sink wont cause it to fail but he did not seem to sure

But witch Heat sink should i get any suggestions?

malstrom

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Thanks you my Good man :) can i run a Cross fire Adapter through that Thing?

do i have to get a Fan to how about a complete assembly?

im guessing im going to need some Thermal compound

im gonig to order some more stuff like some more Ram and some other things cant think of it right now

oh i was going to order a Ups but i went and got that today cause shipping was going to be alot almost forgot LOL...

i just got the APC 750VA 70min battery Backup power thingy Very nice i must say has some sweet options

You don't put fans on fan-less heatsinks.... They dissapate the heat by themselves......

As far as BEST of the BEST I don't know but it works flawless and keeps your temps down....

You can still Xfire but you will need a longer ribbon... Not a biggie.... ;)

That is another winner, but if you decide to use a fan on that one, you have to make sure you have enough clearance.. It's more expensive too...

The AC is enough for your needs... If you want something more flashy and cash is not an option..the go with the Thermalright....

That is a badass cooler, but when you plan on paying 50.00$ or more you normally consider buying a new videocard all together.....

I dont use fanless-heatsinks due to i am the other way around... I like the noise... so IMO the AC should be more than enough for your needs... And remember if you dont want noise then dont get a cooler that has a fan, no point....

malstrom

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Ok i think i have made up my mind im going to get the Zalmen VF1000

do you know if i can cross fire cause im going to put it on a new video card when i get one

or like you said they make a longer cross fire ribbon?

Not bad, but remember to measure before you buy, the AC is by far the lowest profile of all sinks and thats why IMO its a better buy....

Yea there are different sized crossfire ribbons..... You can view them on ebay if you like....