[SOLVED] After moving.. Display stops working while in use. Doesn't come back unless it is power cycled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzgqdpmb

Commendable
Aug 30, 2018
I've just moved and now I'm having a weird issue with my computer. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the electricity or the graphics card.

Monitor goes to saying that there's no signal in the middle of using the computer when it was working.

I tried switching monitors and cables and no luck fixing it.
I opened it up and of course rebooted and power cycled a few times, fans were spinning for the gpu and it still didn't work.

Somehow it comes back eventually after I reconnected the displayport again, but I did that before and that's not a cable that'll become loose. so I don't know what caused it to come back maybe just power cycling.

When it came back I just continued to use it and now the display is gone again, and this time I noticed I lost the lights on the keyboard, I tried hitting caps lock and no light came on.

What can cause this?

I'm really thinking it could be the electric, there's old outlets that some plugs are too loose for and heavy plugs are no good on some outlets here. I might be able to get these all replaced.

Right now I just unplugged it. What do you guys think I should do to troubleshoot?

It was plugged into a powerstrip that has my modem and router, and I didn't notice anything wrong with them.

Almost think I should stop using it and buy a UPS, but would like to avoid doing that if I can.

Parts:

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
You're post is a bit confusing, but if I understand correctly, it could be that your graphics card needs to be fully reseated. Do the same with the graphics card's power connectors. Your PSU will even out a surprising range of power fluctuations, but is also easily tested by plugging it in literally anywhere else. Do the same with the RAM. Moving towers is usually fine, but things can get jostled just the wrong way more easily than you'd think.

I wouldn't worry too much about electrical issues, but I won't say it isn't possible: sometimes errors are jokingly said to be "phase of the moon errors".

EDIT: Re-read your post: didn't realize it happened in the middle of working on it. I stand by what I said, but it does add a new dimension to things. Also try reseating all the various power connectors to the motherboard if the graphics/ram re-seat doesn't work. Update if that doesn't work.

use a voltage\wattage tester on the house's electrical outlets if you really believe they may be faulty.

besides issues with the PSU, GPU, or any other components it can also be a software issue that has randomly developed outside of the move.
try removing all of the GPU related files & settings using DDU in safe-mode. then reinstall the latest driver package directly from AMD or Nvidia.

xzgqdpmb

Commendable
Aug 30, 2018
Maybe I'm not explaining this correctly. Sorry I've been editing this post on my phone.

The title is wrong it came back to working after sometime, but unclear cause.

And there is no obvious power issue, the display kind of loses connection and it came back after I did some troubleshooting switching cables, rebooting, etc.

It's just happened twice, so I'm kind of worried.

xzgqdpmb

Commendable
Aug 30, 2018
use a voltage\wattage tester on the house's electrical outlets if you really believe they may be faulty.

besides issues with the PSU, GPU, or any other components it can also be a software issue that has randomly developed outside of the move.
try removing all of the GPU related files & settings using DDU in safe-mode. then reinstall the latest driver package directly from AMD or Nvidia.
Is this still true if it didn't come back after a simple reboot? Just seems like a hardware issue to me.
There isn't a software change either, I run manjaro, and haven't updated recently. What do you think? How can my drivers cause the issue if there's no display when it boots up?

What do you think? How can my drivers cause the issue if there's no display when it boots up?
no display when it boots, as in;
no post screen, no images at all with a no signal message?
or just no OS showing on the screen after posting?

if your monitor gets no image whatsoever and shows a "no signal" message;
than either your motherboard isn't recognizing the GPU,
or your GPU isn't recognizing the monitor.

if your OS just fails to show after the post screen,
than it's more than likely a software issue with the OS itself or the GPU drivers.
it came back after I did some troubleshooting
what specific troubleshooting lead to it "coming back"?
the new cable,
just a simple reboot?

if you can't reproduce the problem and it isn't continuing to happen, than it is pretty much impossible to determine what caused it.

xzgqdpmb

Commendable
Aug 30, 2018
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

no display when it boots, as in;
no post screen, no images at all with a no signal message?
or just no OS showing on the screen after posting
Just to clarify it was completely no signal (absolutely nothing) until it started working after power cycling. Simple reboots didn't do anything.

what specific troubleshooting lead to it "coming back"?
the new cable,
just a simple reboot?
I really think it was power cycling a few times that fixed. Cable and monitor change didn't work -- even with rebooting.

Reliably as in you know for sure it boots into the OS, you just don't get video output or "reliably" as in you get fans to spin but no further indication that everything else is working normally?
I can't confirm. Just had LEDs and fan spin. Next time I'll see if it's on the network. Not sure how else I could check.

Just an update: It's working for now. After it failed the second time I left it unplugged to think about it for about an hour or so and read your responses. I realized that there was one outlet that I could reach the power strip to that I trusted to have a good connection. I switched my power strip over, and it's been running for a couple hours, but I haven't been using it. I think my theory of the power strip plug having a bad connection with the outlet might be true, but it is just a strange issue.
I really hope it's going to stay working, but I'll come back and update this thread if it starts to fail

xzgqdpmb

Commendable
Aug 30, 2018
See if your computer will boot when plugged into another monitor or your TV. If you’re using a laptop, plug into an external monitor to see if the problem is your display or the PC itself. If your display is malfunctioning, you may be able to replace the LCD panel in your monitor or laptop yourself (if you’re handy with a screwdriver). Otherwise, it may be time to call in the professionals-hopefully you have a good backup in case they have to wipe the drive.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it is working now, and I'm having an electrician check all the outlets. Made the update above. -- And there were no issues with monitors or HDMI or display port cables.

Last edited by a moderator:

xzgqdpmb

Commendable
Aug 30, 2018
It happened again, and I have some new information.

I was able to ping the machine.

The "evga" light on the side of the graphics card went from the pulsing white light to a solid red light. I couldn't figure out what that means, but makes me worried the card is going bad.
This happened previously, but the keyboard's indicator lights would not work.

Was able to get back to normal with power cycling.

20210429-105550.jpg

Also, I've had all my bad old outlets replaced with new ones, so it's less likely to be related to the building's electric, but that's still a possibility I think. This is an older building.

Last edited:

xzgqdpmb

Commendable
Aug 30, 2018
Ok. I have a 600w power supply and the manufacturer recommends at least 750w, some combination of the lower watt power supply and moving apartments seems to be the definite cause of the issue. I will be upgrading my power supply. I think I feel good about marking this resolved.

Figured this out with the help of the EVGA forum. https://forums.evga.com/What-does-i...from-pulsing-white-to-solid-red-m3274203.aspx

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.