[SOLVED] After moving, my PC that used to work fine now blue screens or doesnt display on monitor at all

Oct 2, 2020
Specs:
Intel i7-9700k
Nvidia rtx 2080
Psu- corsair rm 650
32gb ram gskill aegis ddr4
MSI B360 GAMING PLUS LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel B360 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
OS is windows 10

Issues:
Alright, I built this almost a year ago. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. I'm in the military, so I had to have it shipped from Okinawa Japan all the way to east coast of the US. When I opened it up nothing was out of place and it seemed fine. When I tried to power on, it would stay on for 2 seconds and shut off. I moved the ram over and it powered on fine (tried to double check and put the ram back in the original 2-4 slots and still kept cycling). After that, rgb and fans would turn on, but it wouldn't display on my monitor. After cycling power a few times it randomly started to display. However I got a blue screen a few minutes later. Now, every time i power cycle it'll do several different things:

1: it'll stop displaying again.
2: it'll tell me i need to recover and that the ntoskrnl file in system 32 is messed up (forgot exact wording).
3: it'll actually work for several minutes then blue screen with a system service exception error.

I've never overclocked or messed with bios settings, so it's all default. I checked my cpu temps with the cputemp program, everything seemed normal but wattage kept fluctuating (not sure if it's an issue). I also made sure all the internal cables are properly connected.

From the research I've done I think it may be my PSU. I dont feel the breeze coming out from it so it seems the fan isnt working in it either. Any advice and assistance is very much appreciated!

Edit:
Used the windows memory diagnostic and it said I have a memory problem, but I'm not sure how to get specific details from it. Also, while it's actually working it'll periodically start going into overdrive (something in it sounds like a freaking vacuum).

Last edited:
Solution
That "Overdrive" sound you mention likely is all the fans changing to full speed. VERY often what that means is the system just rebooted. The normal boot-up sequence includes turning on all the fans at full speed to get them started for sure. Then, after a few seconds IF the POST self-test sequence of the mobo is completed, it gets the actual temperature readings it needs and slows the fans down to what is required. On the other hand, it those fans do not slow down, normally that means that the mobo itself has encountered a basic problem and cannot complete POST to begin loading an OS.

Many systems have more than one RAM module in sockets. If there is a problem there, it is likely (not guaranteed) that only one module has trouble. So...

Ralston18

Titan
Overall, who knows what may have happened during shipping.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Doublecheck by sight (bright flashlight) and feel that everything is indeed fully and firmly in place.

Cards, cables, jumpers, RAM. (Some you have checked but no harm in checking again.)

PSU - modular cables, remember to check both ends.

Install a new CMOS battery.

Memory problem could be power related and not RAM per se.

Do you have a multimeter?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Another thought: what source voltage did the PSU use while in Japan: 100 volts?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That "Overdrive" sound you mention likely is all the fans changing to full speed. VERY often what that means is the system just rebooted. The normal boot-up sequence includes turning on all the fans at full speed to get them started for sure. Then, after a few seconds IF the POST self-test sequence of the mobo is completed, it gets the actual temperature readings it needs and slows the fans down to what is required. On the other hand, it those fans do not slow down, normally that means that the mobo itself has encountered a basic problem and cannot complete POST to begin loading an OS.

Many systems have more than one RAM module in sockets. If there is a problem there, it is likely (not guaranteed) that only one module has trouble. So IF the memory error message you got is correct (it may not be) you could try this. Shut down and remove all RAM modules. Install only one of them in the first RAM slot and try to boot. If it works, do that same module in a different slot. Repeat until you have tested all 4 slots with the same RAM module. If that all works, repeat the whole sequence with a different RAM module. IF every module works in every slot, then you probably do NOT have a RAM malfunction.

Solution

jwcrellin

Reputable
Was the graphics card supported at all during transport? I would look at the GPU slot for damage. Same with the CPU if you have a large tower cooler. Make sure it's got full contact and maybe redo your thermal paste.