After moving, windows 7 rig unable to boot with disc.

fr4nkenstein

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
Okay, I'm a bit of a novice so I'll try to explain the best I can. I've currently been moving for the past 8-10 months so I've had my computer in storage. I had it in with my clothes in a plastic container, anyway.

Finally moved, internet hooked up. I went to turn it on and I get Windows Boot Manager telling me I need to put in the windows installation disc. I do, and go to repair and it tells me I had problems with the booting of Windows and brings me to the Windows Error Recovery page telling me to launch Startup Repair. I try, and it brings me back to the Boot Manager page. The other option is start windows regularly so I tried that, it brought up the regular windows screen only to be brought back to the Boot Manager page.

I was researching and read that F8 on Boot Manager brings up advanced options? I tried unsuccessfully but I'm not sure if what I read was true or not.

I'm without a car ATM or I'd probably take it to a computer repair shop because I am stumped.

Any help would be more than appreciated. If you need any additional information, don't hesitate to ask

TL;DR - Can't get passed Boot Manager on w7 with the windows disc

Solution
If nothing of the above works, use Hiren's Boot (google, download and burn it) to boot your pc with it using its "mini windows XP" option, with this you should be able to copy all your data to a pendrive / external HDD (make sure to plug it in before starting your pc) and then make a fresh windows installation.
Press F8 while your pc is starting up, under the available options choose "safe mode". If that manages to get into windows (should take longer than usual) run a chkdsk /F on your C: drive from cmd. You should be able to do that also from one of the recovery options your installation disc gives you.

fr4nkenstein

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
Okay. I'm in the new menu as I pressed F8 during startup but I'm not sure which option is safe-mode.. I'll write it out

Please select boot device:
P3: WDC WD10EZEX-00UD2A0 (953869MB)
P6: ST3120213AS (114473MB)
P5: ASUS DRW-24B1ST c (3167MB)
UEFI: ASUS DRW-24B1ST c (3167MB)
Enter Setup

Common sense tells me it's either P3 or maybe enter setup? Sorry, thanks for the help

EDIT:

So, I was tired of waiting and tried P3. It brought me back to Boot Manager so I restarted and noticed it said F2 for BIOS, so now I have the UEFI BIOS Utility - EZ Mode screen up. I've been looking around trying to get into safe mode somehow but can't figure it out. I also went back to try enter setup and that just brought me back to the BIOS Utility page.

Will keep looking and googling.

Any help appreciated.

EDIT #2

fr4nkenstein

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

After googling I've read F8 is the button to bring up safe mode. I've tried it repeatedly but I don't get the advanced boot options.

I get a small screen with

Please select boot device:
P3: WDC WD10EZEX-00UD2A0 (953869MB)
P6: ST3120213AS (114473MB)
P5: ASUS DRW-24B1ST c (3167MB)
UEFI: ASUS DRW-24B1ST c (3167MB)
Enter Setup

If I select P3, it sends me back to Boot Manager. Enter Setup brings me to BIOS. I tried P6 and it brought me back to the windows install, so I tried repairing and it had an error.

Any other ideas?

Thanks (and if this screen is unusual I can always take a picture and upload if it'd be helpful)

fr4nkenstein

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

Ahh! I hadn't thought to press F8 after selecting the HD as well. I feel like a dumbass but do I want safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, or safe mode w/ cmd prompt

Also when Radikat told me to run a chkdsk /F. Does that mean I just put that into my cmd prompt?

Sorry I'm asking a million questions, I just haven't used a computer in a long while and it seems extra confusing.

fr4nkenstein

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

I failed to mention that I was responding on my laptop, not the computer in question. I tried safe mode, and safe mode with cmd prompt and they both bring me to the windows installation screen. repair still doesn't work. I noticed in the advanced boot options above the safe mode there was a Repair my computer option. Is that anything? or did I something wrong?

Thanks

fr4nkenstein

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

I did try it. Alas, it brings me to Boot Manager. Can anyone think of anything else? There's some family pictures on this HDD that I would love to be able to keep.

If nothing of the above works, use Hiren's Boot (google, download and burn it) to boot your pc with it using its "mini windows XP" option, with this you should be able to copy all your data to a pendrive / external HDD (make sure to plug it in before starting your pc) and then make a fresh windows installation.

Solution