Question After new 3090 install, PC crashing out of games before title screen, odd startup behavior, general slowness

Jan 13, 2023
Going to try to start from the very beginning and document everything I did to be as clear as possible.

First, PC Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3090

MOBO: Asus X570-I

RAM: Corsair 2x8 GB 3200Mhz

PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 GM

Storage:

1x Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB Sata SSD (OS Windows 10)

1x Intel 660p 1 TB M.2 SSD

1x Intel 660p 2 TB M.2 SSD

Case: NZXT H1 V1

So, let me start from the beginning of this whole fiasco. I bought and installed my new CPU about a week ago. Tried to just replace old CPU (R5 3600) and boot up, but was met with an error LED on the motherboard. Had to update the BIOS, so I did that and inserted the 5800X3D again, and booted up fine. No issues as I was running this with my old GPU (ASUS ROG STRIX 2070 Super). Yesterday, my new GPU comes in. I don't run any DDU or equivalent; I shut down my computer, remove my old card, install the 3090, and boot up. Instantly experience issues attempting to launch games and the like. Crashes, random restarts, etc. I attempt to run a DDU; I do not do it correctly. I did not disconnect from wifi or run the DDU in safe mode. After this DDU run I reboot and attempt to install the latest NVIDIA driver, but the installation fails and the computer is just not running properly. I then do a proper DDU run, following the exact instructions here. Reboot, and computer is still experiencing same issues: Games crashing on launch, computer rebooting several times after restart, freezing constantly, etc. I then run another DDU, same process as before, and after this iteration, the computer begins working smoothly; I was able to run Rust on ultra settings, averaging 90 FPS, running exactly as intended. I then shut the PC down; I come back a little bit later, turn it back on, and the same problems return. I then follow this tutorial, step by step, but still to no avail. Outside of a fresh Windows reinstall, I'm not too sure what else to do, so any and all support would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there is anything else I could be more clear on.

Going to try to start from the very beginning and document everything I did to be as clear as possible.

First, PC Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3090

MOBO: Asus X570-I

RAM: Corsair 2x8 GB 3200Mhz

PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 GM

Storage:

1x Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB Sata SSD (OS Windows 10)

1x Intel 660p 1 TB M.2 SSD

1x Intel 660p 2 TB M.2 SSD

Case: NZXT H1 V1

So, let me start from the beginning of this whole fiasco. I bought and installed my new CPU about a week ago. Tried to just replace old CPU (R5 3600) and boot up, but was met with an error LED on the motherboard. Had to update the BIOS, so I did that and inserted the 5800X3D again, and booted up fine. No issues as I was running this with my old GPU (ASUS ROG STRIX 2070 Super). Yesterday, my new GPU comes in. I don't run any DDU or equivalent; I shut down my computer, remove my old card, install the 3090, and boot up. Instantly experience issues attempting to launch games and the like. Crashes, random restarts, etc. I attempt to run a DDU; I do not do it correctly. I did not disconnect from wifi or run the DDU in safe mode. After this DDU run I reboot and attempt to install the latest NVIDIA driver, but the installation fails and the computer is just not running properly. I then do a proper DDU run, following the exact instructions here. Reboot, and computer is still experiencing same issues: Games crashing on launch, computer rebooting several times after restart, freezing constantly, etc. I then run another DDU, same process as before, and after this iteration, the computer begins working smoothly; I was able to run Rust on ultra settings, averaging 90 FPS, running exactly as intended. I then shut the PC down; I come back a little bit later, turn it back on, and the same problems return. I then follow this tutorial, step by step, but still to no avail. Outside of a fresh Windows reinstall, I'm not too sure what else to do, so any and all support would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there is anything else I could be more clear on.
You might want to upgrade your psu to something better able to handle a 3090.