After new motherboard,cannot connect to internet with ethernet

Slayer360

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Hey guys im having a propblem. After installing my 990fxa ud3 R5 i made sure my computer updated all drivers. I used te disc, had no internet connestion the whole time. Every driver updated succsefully except for my ethernet controller and my USB controller ( i dont think that matters though). Also under network adapters in my device manager, hamachi network interface is fine. But teredo tunneling psuedo interface is not updated and just as my ethenet conrtoller it cannot find any updates. I need my internet so i can test out my new 8350 but since steams a big nerd i cant load anygames without internet connection. Any help would be great thanks!

Solution
No that would just complicate things further. As long as you can get the files to the PC you should be fine to install the ethernet and USB drivers.

Worst case scenario without USB would be to put the drivers onto CD/DVD and get them that way. Though with Windows 7 the drivers available on the disc should suffice.

You might take a look in device manager and see if you have any remaining drivers from your previous system that could be causing a conflict. Particularly if your previous board was somewhat similar. If you have a lot of yellow exclamations or red Xs that is a sign you have a lot of incorrect drivers loaded. It may be simplest to go through and say 'update driver' on each device and point it to the directories on the...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Neither of those would be your actual ethernet adapter, so would not have been updated with your motherboard swap. Those sound like virtual adapters installed along with software.

Ideally you should have downloaded the latest drivers from here before even making the attempt: http://us.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/990FXA-GAMING.html#down-driver

Looks like you have a Killer brand ethernet controller and what is on the disk may not be up to date enough to work with your OS. Particularly if it is something like Windows 10.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No that would just complicate things further. As long as you can get the files to the PC you should be fine to install the ethernet and USB drivers.

Worst case scenario without USB would be to put the drivers onto CD/DVD and get them that way. Though with Windows 7 the drivers available on the disc should suffice.

You might take a look in device manager and see if you have any remaining drivers from your previous system that could be causing a conflict. Particularly if your previous board was somewhat similar. If you have a lot of yellow exclamations or red Xs that is a sign you have a lot of incorrect drivers loaded. It may be simplest to go through and say 'update driver' on each device and point it to the directories on the motherboard disc to see if it can locate the appropriate drivers. Windows may not make the correct decision here, so you may have to look at the driver details loaded in device manager and compare them to the details on the driver discs. You would want them to match in this case.

I have done many OS migrations and haven't encountered this particular problem. But without network access it will be difficult to get screenshots (you could use a camera)

Far preferable to download the latest from MSI and run their setup though, should be able to handle most of it.

There are cases where a migration is not possible and the OS core files need to be re-installed as a minimum. (IE a repair setup of Windows, not a restore, and not a fresh install if you want to keep your files and programs) Last last resort of course is a fresh install of the OS, that will always work.

Solution