Question After PLEX update, program is unusable, can't find server?

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
The last time I logged into PLEX, I saw the message to update. I did. Now PLEX says my Plex Server is unavailable. After trying everything I could think of, I decided to completely uninstall PLEX. I'm not sure I accomplished that correctly since I cannot reinstall PLEX MEDIA SERVER or PLEX. I have never understood the difference in these two downloads. I never get any options to specify a new PLEX server or any other options. Can someone walk me (not a geek) through the uninstall and the download and reinstall? I did have the foresight to backup the entire PLEX MEDIA SERVER folder, but I need a step-by-step tutorial, please

Ralston18

Titan
Start with the following links to work out the "big picture" with respect to your setup and requirements.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-vs-plex-media-server/159002

You should also use the PLEX website for "How-to" information. Hopefully the site will be most up-to-date with respect to installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling.

://support.plex.tv/articles/202526943-plex-free-vs-paid/

Please note that the link involves the use of the Registry Editor. Do be very sure to back up your registry per the green "TIP" block.

Also update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

"Now PLEX says my Plex Server is unavailable."

" since I cannot reinstall PLEX MEDIA SERVER "

Any specific error codes or messages? Are there pop up windows? And references to help via support or websites?

Overall, my thought is that the update was buggy and/or corrupted somewhere along the way.