Question After plugging new RAM modules PC takes longer to boot

the_idi0t

Honorable
Feb 16, 2019
Hello all,

I got two new RAM modules and plugged them in yesterday and I noticed that PC takes longer to boot.
It all turns on and I have to wait few minutes for it to get into boot screen. When it comes to Windows/BIOS it registers all modules and is showing 64GB and speed 6000MHz.

Motherboard is ASRock Z790 PG Lightning.

RAM is Fury Beast 32gb kit and Fury Renegade are two independent modules of 16gb each.

Ram modules are plugged in like:
SLOT A1: KINGSTON Fury Beast KF560C36BBEK2-32, DDR5 6000MHz, kit 2x16GB
SLOT A2: KINGSTON FURY Renegade RGB KF560C32RSA-16, DDR5 6000MHz
SLOT B1: KINGSTON Fury Beast KF560C36BBEK2-32, DDR5 6000MHz, kit 2x16GB
SLOT B2: KINGSTON FURY Renegade RGB KF560C32RSA-16, DDR5 6000MHz

Is this normal for first few times? Or is one of the new ones deffective? Maybe those modules can't be mixed then I have to buy two more. :)
I know it's normal for first time.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Which ram kit was the one you picked in the first place? have that, return the new kit and source the exact same ram kit as your initial kit ion your build. Thumb rule with ram upgrades, treat them like you would when buying a pair of shoes, you need to buy a pair...not a single shoe. Mixing and matching rams often tends to instabilities/troubleshooting/grey hair moments.

the_idi0t

Honorable
Feb 16, 2019
BIOS version is 7.02

First one was Kingston FURY beast, slot A1 and B1 and this one was a 2xkit.
Fury renegade is RGB and one single stick, I bought two of them because there is no 2x kit available.
But they are the same, those two single sticks, KF560C32RSA-16.

So I have one FURY Beast kit from the manufacturer - 2x16GB
and one kit made by me that includes 2x16GB of KF560C32RSA-16.

EDIT: I just opened both memory specification and they are exactly the same KF560C32RSA-16 and KF560C36BBEK2-32 .
Same CL(IDD), tRCmin, tRFCmin, tRASmin, UL Rating, Operating Tempeature, Storage Temperature.

Last edited:
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

I think what is happening is that the motherboard takes extra time to find a setting that works.
Look at cpu-Z to see what settings are actually in use and specify them yourself in the bios.
Most likely, you will see increased ram voltage.

Run memtest86+
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download it here:

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Latest posts