After power outage, HD Sound Device disappeared (not recognized whatsoever by computer or device manager)

adamm6743

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hello,

Yesterday there was a small power outage at my house, I was in the middle of using my PC and our power went out. Nothing else in the house was damaged by the outage, nor was anything else on my PC, except for the HD Sound Card (I have an ASUS Essence STX II card). My PC boots fine, everything works normally, including the display, however my PC cannot detect my sound card whatsoever anymore. Sound itself was working fine (I have Windows 10); I was able to switch to another sound output perfectly okay (like to sound through my monitor which has crappy speakers) or through the included sound card in my PC case. Usually, these audio options are displayed, along with an option to choose "ASUS STX II" or whatever for sound output as I always leave headphones plugged in.

When the power went out, I was actively making music and using the HD sound card, so the only thing I can think of is that I had a freak accident and that small outage destroyed my audio card. I have tried switching PCI slots for the sound card, and I've confirmed that other slots I've tried are working with other components, so I am at a complete loss other than the small outage did some damage to the card (no lightning at all or anything close). Wondering if this is possible, or if anything else could help me. The weirdest part is that I literally haven't touched a thing or updated anything either. I checked and my last update was almost 4 weeks ago and all software was up to date. I even tried re-inserting the CD that came with the sound card that includes my drivers, and the CD uninstalled the ASUS drivers successfully, and then upon reinstall a message will pop up saying "no ASUS sound card detected, installation will be terminated now."

In summary: It is very strange because I did nothing at all, updated nothing and changed nothing inside my PC before the outage; the sound card worked flawlessly always before the outage and now my PC can't recognize it whatsoever afterward (it doesn't even appear anywhere in device manager or under a different name or "unknown device", it's just GONE completely even though no physical connections changed). Does this basically mean that the small power outage ruined my audio card? Is that possible with no other damage at all to the PC?

Thank you so much for any help, I'm at a complete loss here, just wondering if this seems most likely caused by the power outage, and that the only thing to do would be replace the sound card?

adamm6743

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Unfortunately I did go into BIOS already and tried changing settings, I only have the option to enable or disable HDA in BIOS, which stays enabled. When my PC detects the ASUS card, it uses that as the main sound device with "HDA enabled." Disabled just leads to neither being available. Just trying to figure out if this is then power outage damage. Thanks!