Question After Power Outage, PC won't turn on. PSU makes weird low tuned beep.

Oct 15, 2019
After a short power outage, after which I switched the PSU off, the PC won't turn back on once the power got back.

When I turn on the power switch on the PSU you can hear it boot up, then the mobo display lights up, and a low tuned weird sci fi sound beep is heard (not sure from where). But the power button doesn't work, PC won't turn on.

Any ideas. Idk seems that the PSU and mobo are working since the mobo lights up and you can hear the PSU boot up.

I've tried swapping RAM that's all.

Thanks.

Oct 15, 2019
After a short power outage, after which I switched the PSU off, the PC won't turn back on once the power got back.

When I turn on the power switch on the PSU you can hear it boot up, then the mobo display lights up, and a low tuned weird sci fi sound beep is heard (not sure from where). But the power button doesn't work, PC won't turn on.

Any ideas. Idk seems that the PSU and mobo are working since the mobo lights up and you can hear the PSU boot up.

I've tried swapping RAM that's all.

Thanks.

Edit: PSU is Corsair

What do you mean by "boot up?" Boot is the Windows process after the computer POSTs, but the rest of your description makes it sound like the computer isn't booting at all ("power button doesn't work").

Try another power outlet. Were you plugged into a battery backup or a surge protector when the power went out?

Oct 15, 2019
What do you mean by "boot up?" Boot is the Windows process after the computer POSTs, but the rest of your description makes it sound like the computer isn't booting at all ("power button doesn't work").

Try another power outlet. Were you plugged into a battery backup or a surge protector when the power went out?
I mean the rear end switch, when I turn it to on, I hear a slight power up hiss and then the mobo lights come on, and then the sound happens.

Power went out a million times before and everything was ok, Although I believe this mobo had a history of misbihaving after an outage and then just suddenly coming back to work when it was in my brothers machine.

The power cable is plugged into an 6 plug extension, Idk if that's counted as a surge protector, otherwise the answer is no.

And correct, the PC doesn't run at all, other than the components themselves getting power, seemingly.

Edit: Mobo is Maximus IV Gene-Z / Gen 3

If the power is going out a lot (which I would consider being more than once a month) I would highly recommend a good surge protector, with a battery backup recommendation if you can.

Power supplies do hold power. The best way to reset them (in my book) it to turn them off and hit the power button. If you turn the supply back on and the power supply still doesn't work, try another location. If the power still doesn't work, it could very well be dead.

Oct 15, 2019
If the power is going out a lot (which I would consider being more than once a month) I would highly recommend a good surge protector, with a battery backup recommendation if you can.

Power supplies do hold power. The best way to reset them (in my book) it to turn them off and hit the power button. If you turn the supply back on and the power supply still doesn't work, try another location. If the power still doesn't work, it could very well be dead.
What do you mean by other location?

Also I find it hard to believe that it's dead when it's obviously powering up when I turn the PSU on...

The only thing that's weird is the weird low tune mobo beep but it could just mean that it's on.

Oct 15, 2019
A different power outlet
Also I find it hard to believe that it's dead when it's obviously powering up when I turn the PSU on...
I have seen more than one PC turn on fans and the little light on the motherboard just fine, but that's about it. Didn't mean the power supply was any less dead (other than able to hold a couple watts).
[/QUOTE]

I left it alone, already looking at laptop prices and it just turned itself on by itself a minute ago while I was playing mobile games in bed. Sooooo weird. Spooked me.