Question After Reboot, PC takes up to 7 minutes to stabilize

chobe

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Still running Win 7 having found no satisfactory replacement for WMC. After rebooting machine takes several minutes to establish internet connection, load MS Security Esentials, graphics, keyboard, mouse - that's about it. Nothing significant in Event Viewer, ran SFC /Scannow = does generate log showing hundreds of items with Invalid ID - unable to update but really don't understand. Few years ago reinstalled windows and lost all recording even though no hardware changed so I'm afraid to refresh Windows due to large number of drm proctected recordings on machine. Hoping for other solution or resolution to drm issue. Have seen same performance in safe mode so not sure exactly whats going on. BTW this activity has been occuring before Microsoft began close of support so don't think it's anything they're doing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

chobe

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Win 7 64bit
16GB Ram
CPU: i5 4670
MB: MSI Z871

Don't believe I've ever updated bios, but have not changed any hardward since initial build - still suggested? My big concern is messing with DRM protected files - will bios upgrade cause issues?

Also noticed that PC in question had a different workgroup name so tried to correct it but gives an error that duplicate name exists. I checked all other computers (6) and all belong to correct workgroup and each has a unique computer name so not sure whats going on.

Last edited:

chobe

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Are you using an SSD or HDD for Windows 7? Also, what are you using WMC if you don't mind me asking?

Using 500GB WD HDD for Windows. This particular PC is used for entertainment viewing only so not a lot of garbage or additional programs; WMC Record folder is on a 840GB SSD.

WMC is used to record favorite weekly programs on my schedule then delete them once viewed. I have more than 400 TV movies recorded and stored on NAS. Moving files from Recorded folder to NAS uses the "copy once" as set by DRM and why I'm so nervous about reinstalling or refreshing windows.

Using 500GB WD HDD for Windows. This particular PC is used for entertainment viewing only so not a lot of garbage or additional programs; WMC Record folder is on a 840GB SSD.

WMC is used to record favorite weekly programs on my schedule then delete them once viewed. I have more than 400 TV movies recorded and stored on NAS. Moving files from Recorded folder to NAS uses the "copy once" as set by DRM and why I'm so nervous about reinstalling or refreshing windows.
On my HTPC running Windows 7 I have the OS on an SSD and I record OTA to a 1TB HDD. I forgot what it was called, but there was some "feature" that I think I turned off that would constantly rescan the libraries for changes when ever I booted or rebooted if I used the Movie or Music folders for accessing saved media files. I use only the Videos menu with a folder from my NAS as it doesn't seem to have that issue. WMC also slows down if you have too many files per folder or at least that has been my experience. I mostly stick to using Media Browser 2.6.2 so I can launch VLC and control that with my remote and hit the back button to exit back into WMC. I didn't like what was done to Media Browser when it was changed to Emby, so I stuck with what works for me and the other people using the system.

chobe

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Sorry took so long....Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and response was Operation Completed Successfully with no errors reported in ../CBS/CheckSur.log. However, ../Dism/dism.log shows following warning: "Failed to load....PE Provider".

Could failing to load the "Preinstallation Environment" be causing the issue and should I run following command line "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"?

Note: This is Win7 environment