Question After recently upgrading, monitors randomly shut off and must restart

May 11, 2019
Hello everyone!
I recently upgraded my PC and since then I keep getting this problem randomly. My monitors go black, and moments later I hear the hardware disconnected sound. I can't get my monitors to show my desktop display again until I restart my computer. I have tried disconnecting/reconnecting display port. I don't know what is causing this, but I have been lead to believe it could have something to do with the power supply. I have put my PC specifications below:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Motherboard: Asus - Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Recently added 2 to have 32G)
Graphics Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Founders Edition
Storage 1: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage 2: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage 3: WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm - WDS100T2B0A (Recently Added)
Monitor 1: Asus - ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz
Monitor 2: I have another one, but I don't remember the exact name

Last edited:
I'm not fully sure though. How old is that power supply, btw ? Anyways, can you first try to use only a SINGLE Monitor to boot your PC ? Also, boot your system by using the motherboard's integrated onboard graphics. Remove the GTX 1080 card first. Doing this should narrow down this issue.

Check whether any of the Monitors are still going black ? Maybe try using some other Monitor cable as well ?

May 11, 2019
I'm not fully sure though. How old is that power supply, btw ? Anyways, can you first try to use only a SINGLE Monitor to boot your PC ? Also, boot your system by using the motherboard's integrated onboard graphics. Remove the GTX 1080 card first. Doing this should narrow down this issue.

Check whether any of the Monitors are still going black ? Maybe try using some other Monitor cable as well ?

It's about 3 years old. Yeah, I can try but I also want to mention, that the monitors go black randomly, and I really don't know what causes it. Also, when they do go black, the computer STAYS ON but I just cant do anything. And I know that the computer is otherwise working because I hear the hardware disconnect sound. When I restart my computer after this happens, everything works fine unless it happens again. I'll try the things you mentioned!

May 11, 2019

Hey, I have some news! I had a monitoring software running while I was playing games and it happened again. I went to go look at the logs, and for some reason, The GPU fan shuts off, and the temperature goes to 0. I'm not sure why. The temperature before this happens is 62 degrees steady for a long time. Does this give you any insight as to what is happening?