After reinstalling W8.1 I'm not getting an option to safely remove hardware

biisk

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
Couple of days ago I formatted my drives and reinstalled my OS. Everything is working fine, except this one issue that's extremely bothering me.

First of all, when I plug a "new device" (in this case a USB headset) in a USB port, I get a standard 'Device Setup' pop-up window saying it's installing the device. I quickly notice, though, that the progress bar doesn't move at all after a few seconds and it's stuck there for a long while. When I just press 'close', the devices does fully work.

Now the same thing happened to my External Hard Drive and Flash Drive. They work absolutely fine, but I'm not getting the option to remove them safely when clicking the little icon in the taskbar. Also, they're completely greyed out in the little window when I click the icon.

It's allowing me to safely remove the Flash Drive from 'This PC' but not the External Hard Drive. I also tried changing its removal policy through the 'device manager', but no luck there either.

Haven't been able to find a solution through Google either, so hoping someone here could help me out.

Thanks!

biisk

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I cannot find the 'Add/Remove Hardware' option?