[SOLVED] After relocating PC, ethernet is much slower

Mar 31, 2020
Hi, so I have a desktop that i use ethernet on, and it works fine. I usually get around 20 download and 20 upload speed. However, after moving my pc into a new room, and plugging my Netgear Powerline1200 into a new socket in the wall, my ethernet speeds all the sudden became 2mbps download and 20 upload. The download speed dramatically dropped, but the upload speed remains the same. I've tried plugging my Netgear Powerline1200 into 3 different sockets across the room, to see no change. Wondering if this has to do with the room itself, or something I can fix myself. Thanks.

Solution
It's the wiring in the room and likely nothing you can do about it. You can try buying a wall socket polarity tester...the tester will tell you if the outlets are wired properly and most importantly if they are grounded properly.

Unfortunately it's likely a matter of too much electrical wire between you and the modem. You'll have to either move the modem closer...or an even better option is buying a quality router and going wireless.
It's the wiring in the room and likely nothing you can do about it. You can try buying a wall socket polarity tester...the tester will tell you if the outlets are wired properly and most importantly if they are grounded properly.

Unfortunately it's likely a matter of too much electrical wire between you and the modem. You'll have to either move the modem closer...or an even better option is buying a quality router and going wireless.

Solution

Latest posts